Can't connect to midi hub

They all seem to match what I have…

Does the Midihub Editor connect to the device if you turn it on in bootloader mode? (keep the button down while powering it on, all LEDs should be lit up in that mode)

I’m guessing it does connect? It doesn’t say connecting but I get a disconnet icon in the top left and the screen goes Grey.
EDIT, It tells me the firmware version in the bottom right so that must mean it has connected ok.

Please try flashing the firmware when connected when it’s in bootloader mode, get the firmware file from [Download] Midihub Editor 1.11.10 & Firmware 1.11.11 and do Device → Flash Firmware.

When starting the flashing procedure while the device is in bootloader mode, it won’t save the memory contents, but I you should be able to find the last backup on one of your machines that you used to perform the firmware upgrade before here:

C:\Users\Giedrius\AppData\Local\Blokas\Midihub Editor

(Change Giedrius to your user name, or just do Start → Run, and enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\Blokas\Midihub Editor and hit OK)

After the firmware flash procedure, if it connects well, you should be able to import the backup file using Device → Import Everything…

I flashed the firmware but I still cannot connect to the hub normally, it just hangs while trying to connect as per the below screenshot.

I tried again on my other computer and after a reboot I did manage to get past the error that appears when it says a new firmware was required, so it is connecting fine on that computer, but I have to disconnect everything and move the midihub to that computer to actially do anything so it’s not ideal.

Do you have any other ideas on how to get it working on my laptop again?

IGNORE the above, it is now working :slight_smile: I rebooted my laptop after doing the firmware update and it connected instantly. I need to re-install my other midi device software now though so let’s hope it wasn’t something form that causing the issue.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Good to hear it’s working again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, unfortunately it has stopped working again. I haven’t changed anything on my laptop since I last connected and I tried the method I did before by reflashing the hub, rebooting my laptop and trying again, but this time it did not work :frowning:

Do you have any other suggestions?

Could you please repeat the steps to get the log as in my initial reply to this thread, so we can see what’s going on.

Does the editor connect to Midihub when it’s started in bootloader mode?

Thanks for the reply. I’ve followed the debug steps again and attached the mh file.

Yes it connects perfectly fine in bootloader mode.

mh.log (7.6 KB)

Could you try switching the preset before connecting using a few clicks of the button, and see if it manages to connect to the device?

That does npot seeem to work unfortunately. Switching profiles works before and during connection though.

If you switch to say preset #7, indicated by OUT C LED (or any other preset different from the one loaded initially), then attempt to connect to Midihub, does it change back to the original preset after attempting connection?

I currently only have 2 presets, but if I put it on preset 2 and try to connect, it remains on preset 2.

1 Like

I’m not if this helps, but when I click the connect button while the midihub is connected via USB, it takes ages for the connection dialog to appear, and trying to close it is very laggy (obviously it doesn’t connect). Yet when the cable is not connected the dialog appears and closes instantly; its also instant when using bootloader mode. So something is happening, just not in a good way!

1 Like

The error is still the same, some Windows API timing out, that’s why it takes a while. But I can’t come up with any reasons for that yet.

The current theory I have is that something unexpected in the preset(s) may be either causing long processing times for Midihub, but the weirdest thing about that is in that case, the device would detect a stall and reboot itself automatically. In case it remains on the same preset during the entire attempt to connect seems to invalidate this.

Do you remember what were the last things you were doing with Midihub before restarting / turning it off / disconnecting it? Do you have the preset you were working on backed up to the PC and could you send it to me via PM or just post here?

Could you try connecting again while an ‘unused’ (blank) preset is on? Is it still the same?

I tried connecting while a blank preset was enabled (I tried from 3 to 8) but it still does not connect.

I’ve attached preset 1 that I currently have on the midi hub, it is a fairly simple one with just midi in/out configurations. Preset 2 which I don’t have a backup saved is basically just 2 midi ins/outs, so even simpler. If you really need that one I can connect it to my other computer to get it (yes it still connects to that computer fine!).

Midihub 2021.05.08 14.12.03 (Preset 1).mhp (435 Bytes)

Ok, if it works on another computer, then it’s not likely it’s something in the presets that’d trigger this.

Did anything change recently on the computer it’s not connecting to? Currently it seems more likely it’s some issue with the drivers or conflicting software (one issue could be some dlls with the same name got installed by some other software to the Windows / System directory that override the dlls that come with Midihub Editor)

Could you try searching for libserialport.dll in C:\Windows (or wherever the OS is installed) named libserialport.dll? It can take a while, but let me know if there are any hits.

Also, could you post the screenshot of ‘Driver Details’ from Properties of Midihub (COM3) in Device Manager?

Is Midihub connected directly to the computer, or via a USB hub?