Patchbox OS with generic USB soundcard hangs on boot (RPI zero W)

Hey, I’m trying to get Pd running on some of the RPI zeroes I have lying around and get them to work with some cheap generic USB soundcards (which, by the way, I don’t recommend if sound quality is important)

It looks like the Patchbox OS does not officially support the Zero but it sounds like some people are managing to use it anyway.

Unfortunately my USB soundcard is causing the Pi to hang during boot, usually around this step:

“found device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/3ac474d7-01”.

Plugging it in after booting also causes the Pi to freeze immediately. The card definitely should work with the Pi Zero, and I can see that it is recognized before the boot hangs. I’ve tried the usual tricks with USB soundcards and tried disabling various things (e.g. Pisound, Bluetooth, even Jack). Also tried using another identical card, another RPI unit, and switching to a 5v 3a power supply.

I looked at some of the logs but found them a bit tricky to decipher. Any tips would be appreciated

I should add that booting with other USB hardware does work. I tried M-audio Midisport UNO and a Mouse/keyboard dongle. Also tried changing the micro USB adapter cable but no luck.

Does your USB soundcard work with regular Raspbian image? Does this USB card work with other kinds of Raspberry Pi?

You may try installing a regular kernel instead of the realtime one and try again, this can be done by running:

sudo apt install raspberrypi-kernel

The realtime kernel can be installed back by running:

sudo apt install raspberrypi-kernel-rt

The kernel is the biggest difference factor that may affect this issue.