Orac 2.0 for the Raspberry PI

ok thank you.
i’ll do that by the end of the day.
last question ( i hope :wink: - where should they appear in the gui ? will there be a user folder created automaticaly, or should i create one ? if yes, where ?

Btw, it should be /home/patch/media/orac/usermodules, or a synonym: ~/media/orac/usermodules

Restarting at least orac is necessary for it to pick up the changes.

You should see them in the GUI alongside the other modules already available.

:+1:

[edited by @Giedrius to remove mail signature :slight_smile: ]

Im having this same issue. Patches not showing in the gui when placing them in this folder. Will every orac and organelle patch show up here or just certain compatible ones?

well it doesn’t work. unziped via right click - extract here.

should the main.pd ( orac-master/Oscclient/pd ) be some special place ? it’s on the desktop for me.

i rebooted the pi to restart orac. should i use a command line, or shut down the device ?

Hmm, looks like I found the issue, the orac json config seems to be missing a key variable. This can be worked around by doing this:

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TheTechnobear/Orac/master/patchbox/orac/orac.json | sudo tee /usr/local/orac/orac.json
sudo systemctl restart orac mec

I have unzipped the TB Clone to /home/patch/media/orac/usermodules/synth/tb-clone and it’s listed properly in the synth category.

2 Likes

it works perfectly :slight_smile:
thank you so much.
have nice times

1 Like

The orac.json file was fixed up in orac package, version 0.2.0-3. Anyone who still have the issue can fix it up by doing:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install orac

I have Orac running on my rPi 3 B. I’m using a Behringer UM2 interface. I own a push2.

1st problem: the audio gets distorted and fixes itself randomly. It hasn’t stayed undistorted for a whole session. My jack settings are 44100, 128000, and 2. Any suggestions on the settings or any other ideas?

2nd problem: I have MEC running. My push2 plugged in to the pi. My push2 using its original power supply and usb cable. Is it possible to switch from osckontrol to pushkontrol? I am viewing the pd client on the pi itself. I can control it that way. I’m new to this so I’m not sure what I’m doing most of the time but i got Orac running on my pi so that’s motivating me to get Orac as a stand-alone instrument with my push2

The stability of the audio can usually be improved by using higher buffers, especially when using USB cards. Using I²S based audio cards allows for lower buffer sizes and better latency, as they communicate with the CPU through a direct dedicated peripheral for this purpose.

To switch to push2 control, do this:

1. sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/mec.service
  2. Edit the ExecStart lines so they appear like this:
    #ExecStart=/usr/local/MEC/mec-app osckontrol.json
    ExecStart=/usr/local/MEC/mec-app pushkontrol.json

3. Ctrl+X, then Y to save end exit.
  4. sudo systemctl daemon-reload
  5. sudo systemctl restart mec

Thought I should post a video of Orac 2.0 running on rpi 3b just to show that it’s still possible in 2021. Some of the older videos make it seem outdated (based on the comment section in the vids) because of how much trouble people are having getting it running. I would say it is always user error because if you follow the instructions correctly that Mark provides it does still work. I’m not smart with the pi hacking stuff. Just started a week ago and I got it to work. If I can, you can too. Don’t give up. Thanks Mark!

2 Likes

I’m trying to convert this Organelle patch to ORAC & I’m having a lot of trouble.

I created the module.json file and filled out this text. I put it in usermodules/synth/mellotron along with the Organelle patch.

Here’s my module.json

{
	"display" : "Mellotron",
	"parameters" : [
		["int","soundselect","Instrument"0,9,0],
		["float","knob1","Octave"0,1,0],
		["float","knob2","Envelope",0,1,0],
		["float","knob3","Chorus",0,1,0],
		["float","knob4","Reverb",0,1,0]
	],
	"pages" : [
		["main","Main",["soundselect","knob1","knob2","knob3","knob4"]]
	]
}

I couldn’t find the default module.pd like in the tutorial video so I tried copying the empty module.pd from the utility folder in the ORAC modules director.

I connected to ORAC via PD & then tried to find my module so I could go to the next phase but I could not.

You’re missing a comma after “Instrument”. JSON has a very strict syntax, make sure it passes validation, you can use this website: https://jsonlint.com/

1 Like

Thanks! My module is now showing up in ORAC with the correct parameters.

In the next step in the video I’m supposed to edit a default module but I don’t see it anywhere in the ORAC files. I tried the Empty module but it looks quite different than what’s in the tutorial.

I got it working!

I’m getting this error but it doesn’t seem to matter. I noticed that none of the modules that I looked at for reference in Orac 2.0 seem to use this, is this just outdated?

KontrolModule $1 mellotron
… couldn’t create

Other than that, I’m wondering, is Lemur for Android worth it?

@thetechnobear mentions this here:

Main change from 1.0 is less boiler plate code needed, look at a 2.0 one and remove the excess from 1.0 (mainly remove kontrolmodule)

So I had to reinstall patchbox and I’m having trouble getting sound from the Pisound input to work with ORAC effects. I’m wondering if I’m skipping a step.

If I plug my synth into my pisound & then plug the output into my amp and then make a patch with just an effect like delay or reverb in A1, I get nothing.

I just remembered I used to have an audio input module. I remade it and now I can have apply effects to the pisound input with orac. It was super simple, just adc to two outputs.

1 Like

I’m having trouble understanding how the modules speak with ORAC.
Some patches have a [r activePage] box which i guess would get the name of the page from the “module.json” file.

The problem is that I never get any message from [r activePage]. I fed it in a [print] box and nothing comes out in the console. I tried changing pages, changing modules, nothing gets printed.

I get the names of the pages in different clients using OSC client but I would like to get them directly in Pure Data without using OSC.

The same happens with [r activeModule].

The big question for me is where are those activePage messages sent from ? I can’t find any [s activePage] in main.pd or mother.pd. Does this only work with the Organelle ?

1 Like

Should Push2 just work when plugged in to a Pisound running Patchbox and Orac module? I am having no joy with it and can’t find any set up instructions.

Also my Mac keeps deleting parts of the PD remote as being from “unverified” sources and I can’t seem to stop it happening so that is not working either . Any help getting around either issue greatly appreciated.