Orac 2.0 for the Raspberry PI

typo, this will be 48000 :wink:

great info from @languidlost!
if its crackling is likely the having issues pushing the audio data out over USB. so most likely its buffer sizes (pd or jack)

changing sample rate shouldn’t be necessary, but check that everything is aligned to use the same sample rate… it maybe some config (jackd? PD?) in Patchbox is defaulting to 48000, as this is used by the PiSound.
(48000 is used on the PiSound because its more efficient… but we use 44100 on the Organelle)

1 Like

I am really new to programming and have been meaning to get raspberry pi to make some sound for quite some time. i love this project (a pi 3 is sounding) and have accumulated a few raspberry pi’s over the last few years a number of which are zeros and zero w.

so this thing you did where you compiled orac for a zero. is there a way that could be downloaded somewhere, or possibly you could list out where (pi or windows) and what (tools needed to compile, oh and also the files) and possibly a how or two?

i imagine that either of those things could be a lot of work and not really something one should ask of another so casually.
if that is the case, possibly there is a tutorial for finding out how to compile stuff with cmake or makefile or whatever magic you modern wizards are able to conjure?

This is the best thing ever! I have been looking and looking for this to appear. everyonce in a while i will go through youtube looking for either Raspberry pi loopers or synths, and this along with PatchboxOS and the easy step by step is a dream come true. i am making sound and having fun. Also thanks to Critter and Guitari: Organelle and that community for making all the PD and interface concepts!

1 Like

Orac news

logo

we have a fantastic logo, kindly designed by Ben Norland, one of our fellow orac users :raised_hands:

orac

(Ben has kindly also designed a number of variations that you will be seeing over time :slight_smile: )

Patchstorage

also @Pranciskus has created a new Patchstorage for Orac, so you will be able to find new modules, updated etc easily - thank you :raised_hands:

https://patchstorage.com/platform/orac/

6 Likes

Great I was just searching patchstorage last week for any Orac related modules and was disappointed that this didn’t exist.

1 Like

Hey everyone, so Web client for ORAC on rPi was released, I’d appreciate any comments/suggestions. The post is here: Web client for ORAC 2.0

7 Likes

This is really exciting, thank you. Looking forward to getting it going tonight. I have the pd editor running fine, but this will help with portability. I’ve been using ORAC with my Zaquencer. I have gotten it to switch patches, but very clunky. This should help me with that and more.

3 Likes

some might be interested in the little sneaky update to the Blokas front page.

https://blokas.io/midiboy/

hint: look about half way down the page :wink:

2 Likes

Nice. This has great potential

Hi Mark, sorry for the late answer. I did your tip and now it’s alright thank you! I play orac with the arturia beat step pro, and im begining to realy play music now. I first tryed with a phatdac as a sound card, and that was realy good sound. I was so exited to see what could it done with the pisound, so i had to buy one with case! Its incredible all the possibility that orac can do! Thank you again!

2 Likes

Hi there,

i made a 1.1 version of edrum on patchstorage with a snare (decay and bp filter). https://patchstorage.com/edrum-1-1/

2 Likes

Hi Mark
Just wanted to say thanks for your amazing work across the open source music community. I’ve been getting into the word of electronic instruments through mostly diy projects relying on the wealth of open open source designs out there and have to taken to just following you across platforms to find the most interesting projects haha.

I also thought I would bring this project, the Ottodiy to your attention if You haven’t already come across it. It’s a fully open source groove box that sits somewhere between the op-1 and organelle designed specifically for diy builders is based on the raspberry pi 3 a+, uses a very similar control layout to the organelle and uses a full colour lcd screen. It seems ripe for a possible far future orac port and solves a lot of the awkwardness of the interaction with the current Pi port.

Once again thanks for your amazing work I look forward to continuing some modules for orac once I’m more familiar with pure data.

1 Like

thanks @Tim_Mooney,

yeah, ive been watching OTTO for a while, I was really pleased when they moved away from the idea of a clone of the OP1, and rather moved towards being inspired by it - I think its great that it has its own vision/idea - its a great project.

Im subscribed to thier discord, though as im more a software guy - I’m kind of waiting for the hardware prototypes to mature, and see how they are going to distribute - id be up for a thru hole diy project, but surface mount is a bit scary, esp if its really small stuff.

but definitely watching it with interest :slight_smile:

1 Like

The difficulty of SMD stuff tends to be greatly overstated. I have almost no electronics experience and was able to build half a dozen mutable instraments modules as my first major build. They use the much smaller 0603 components i think the otto is using the large 1206 for most of it’s parts. The key i’ve found is using cheap tempreture controlled hotplate and 235 degree room tempreture stable solder paste rather than stuffing around trying to do it with a soldering iron like i’ve seen a lot of people do online.

2 Likes

Finally got ORAC installed on a Pi last night and it’s so awesome! I am having a weird issue with the PD controller though. Every time I go back to a page it resets the parameters for the page (and subsequently, the sound of the module) so i’m having to go through and patch in one direction (can’t go back to make any tweaks). Any ideas?

that’s really odd… never seen that happening before…

hmm, I did put out a new version of the pd desktop patch, perhaps this is having an odd side-effect - but seems unlikely - but i’ll test it to double check.

@thetechnobear did a little more troubleshooting and found that the PD client on master is working just fine. Is the one on patchstorage on the dev branch? I seem to be up and running with that one (master) though :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

hmm, interesting - yeah that’s the newer one - it was tested with a newer version of the software, but it should have been ok with the current version of orac.
need to test it again to see whats going on…

thanks for the report, and also letting me know the version on master is ok, will help me debug it :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem! I was digging through the diff of ctrl.pd myself a bit but didn’t reach any conclusions myself but I must admit def not versed enough in pd (yet)

want to use Orac with your eurorack :slight_smile:

https://patchstorage.com/orac-cvtools/

Im previewing ‘cvtools’ a collection of modules for orac…
there will be a video shortly, on my youtube channel,
but for now Ive put the details on the C&G website, as Ive been doing the work on the Organelle.

it should work fine on the rPI, as long as your DC couple audio interface is working already.

setup is slightly different for rPI, you’ll have to edit the main orac.service file currently to specify a different audio interface… perhaps we can think of something a bit more friendly later :wink:

2 Likes