Web client for ORAC 2.0

Hi everyone, so it is exactly what the title says! If you’re not familiar with the ORAC, I suggest you start here.
Many people love using ORAC (I am one of them, thanks, Mark!) but I had some hassle setuping clients so I thought it’s a good chance to do a standalone web application to make ORAC even more accessible. With help from the awesome Blokas guys I think the result is worth sharing with the public:

It runs on the rPi, next to the ORAC, so all you need is a web browser essentially.

Installation

Currently tested on Patchbox OS
SSH to your Pi and run:

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dsedleckas/orac-control-web/master/install-orac-control-web.sh | sh

Open http://<rpi-ip-address>:8080
If you’re stuck on loading screen, make sure ORAC module is activated and mec.service is running. If not, run patchbox module config.

Save as an app on your phone

If your Pi always has the same Ip address (e.g. you’re connecting to Pi’s WiFi network and accessing http://172.24.1.1:8080), you could save the page as an app to your home screen. For example, on Chrome, once opened, click tripple dots and Add to Home screen. Launching application this way will open it in landscape mode and fullscreen instantly.

Menu navigation

Interface should be familiar to any ORAC user before - page/module navigation at the top and parameter controlls below. One change that was made involves menu navigation - Activate button was dropped - instead just tap/click on the wanted item. To scroll the menu (i.e. see more items in the list), you still have to use up/down buttons.

I hope you find it useful and I’d appreciate any comments/suggestions/bug reports here or on the GitHub.

Happy music making!

17 Likes

Thank you for this great work, it works well. I had a problem when installing the web client, I put the solution in case it’s helpful to someone. When I went to install it I could’nt find the pip3 module. I installed it with this code and reinstalled the web client again.

sudo apt-get install python3-pip

5 Likes

thanks, I’ll add this to readme

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Dumb question - so using this nice GUI can it work on the same RPi itself running Orac if I also have a screen attached? or is it only for remote network control from another device?

Yes it should work on RPi itself, just use http://127.0.0.1:8080 or http://localhost:8080 as the address in the browser on RPi.

I went to change the bpm on the clock and ran into an issue. I appear to be having two problems in the web client- 1) the S1 module is the last module in the chain and 2) the S2 module in S1 appears blank.

I’m trying to figure it out. using the web client, can you edit the S2 module?

Can anyone check on their setup if this is the case? Am I wrong about this? Has it been changed? Bug?

I’ve just tryed, and with pyton3, that work fine ! Now, i can manage my preset in my bath, what else?

Probably worth mentioning, big sale on tablets over at Prime Day.

7" Kindle Fire should be more than enough for this, and it’s $30 right now. Two for $50.

1 Like

These tablets are great value for money. Bought one some time ago. Once the Google Play Store is installed you can use it to run e.g. Pisound and Lemur apps. :wink:

I have one as well, somewhere. Couldn’t find it all day, so I guess I’m buying a spare.

That’s great news about the Google Play Store unlocking those. I was strictly thinking about this as a web client for ORAC.

1 Like

Hi there. Would it be possible to implement (organelle’s) keyboard & aux button functionality? Many thanks.

In the web interface?

What do you envision those buttons doing?

Same as what they do for organelle… producing (midi) notes & assisting in operation ((programming), in case of aux button).
Is there something wrong with that idea? :slightly_smiling_face:
The web client is analogues to touchosc app, isn’t it, where that kind of functionality can be achieved. In my understanding anyway…

Is it possible to send note data using Touchosc app? I do not recall such functionality at the API level this is currently implemented, so, no, there are no plans for that.

Yes, Touchosc definitely can send note data! What it might not be able to handle is menu navigation, which is already implemented nicely here.

I think “it’s possible” is the right answer, yes.

It would require that those buttons be added to the web interface, obviously. And in lieu of MIDI, I think it should send OSC messages.

I believe you would also need to edit the Orac template to listen for those messages, and then route them to wherever the messages from native Organelle buttons are passed in.

So… some amount of reverse engineering required. But you didn’t ask if it would be easy. You only asked for possible.

After much searching around within the orac files I cannot find the setting to increase the timeout value of the menu change process. When using a touch pad, the menu system is too quick at autoselecting options. Please let me know if there is a way to add a couple of milliseconds to it.
-sam

Hello mate, I had same problem and haven’t got round to fixing it yet, but believe the answer ye seek be here: Orac 2.0 for the Raspberry PI

On another note, I wanted to make a remote client of my own - either using touchosc or mobmuplat - thought it would be cool to add some pages to the standard menu with for instance a grid for sequencing &/ xy-multitouch… So attempting to reverse engineer from studying @thetechnobear’s PD client. Anyway I have no problem whatsoever sending osc data to orac, but I can’t get anything back, is there some step I’m missing? For instance I noticed the PD client sends a /Connect 6101 to oscout upon start up - I tried mimicking that with a mobmuplat patch but no joy… I’ll keep at it a bit I guess, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers all have gooddaze