Weird Hung Note/Sustain problem

Just tested it with my roland d-05 and the problem doesn’t show up there… but a direct connection from my keyboard to the reface also eliminates the problem… so the problem isn’t the reface, though it seems to be uniquely affecting the reface

Thanks once more…
Maybe its the Maudio Keystation 49 missing sending a note off?
You could check with a MIDI Monitor? (not sure what to recommend in WIN, sorry)

I think I accidentally fixed it when i unplugged my reface to plug in my d-05 cause now that i’ve plugged my reface back in i can’t seem to replicate the error… which is odd cause I’ve powered the midihub off and on several times assuming that would have the same effect but that never fixed my problem… so i don’t even know what the problem was, but i guess it’s fixed now?

I’ll try throwing some effects in there and taking them out to see if it happens again.

MIDI OX :wink:

Could the MIDI cable you used be faulty itself or just had bad contact with the sockets?

1 Like

It’s a brand new cable so I hope it’s not the cable… how might i test that?

100% to be sure only with a “Cable tester”, try with another cable… besides that as recommend by @Giedrius, install MIDI OX and look at the arriving MIDI Messages.

K, so i got it to replicate the error. this was the patch that did it

I feel like it wasn’t until I threw the scaler in there that notes started to hang again…
once again when i bring everything back to midi in straight to midi out the problem persists
Power cycling both the midihub and the reface does solve the problem though this time

I opened up MIDI XO, have no idea how any of it works… I basically just use hardware, not really used to using the computer as my interface

post the actual file preset (Save as…) *.mhp, so the Dev’s can help track down :wink:

I’m too new to the site, it won’t let me attach the preset

yeah…implementation of Discourse…
Circumvent: post a link to the file (dropbox, google drive… similar services)

I’m not 100% sure, but i think this is the same problem I am having

1 Like

Sorry about the upload issue, I’ve updated the config to allow new users to post files.

You should now be able to attach the preset here.

The SC REMAP pipe might be the cause of this issue, we’ll fix it.

I think there’s another way to workaround this state - you could try making the Midihub’s button send ‘all notes off’ message (configure it in Device->Settings), then if you hold the button down for a second or so, it will send to the selected destination port an ‘all notes off’ MIDI messages to all 16 channels, it should make any stuck notes to be reset.

As for MIDI OX - you have to select which input and output MIDI devices should be opened in Options->MIDI Devices (if you get an error opening some device, usually that’s because it’s already open in some other software). Then in View->Port Routings you will see the open ports, you may make connections between the in and out ports to forward MIDI data between them. (very useful if you want to use USB MIDI controllers with Midihub, but the same should be possible to do in DAWs too)

The Output Monitor is always open in MIDI OX, and the input monitor can be opened via View->Input Monitor.

1 Like

While the SC Remap pipe is one reliable way I can cause this error to occur, I don’t think it’s strictly the SC remap pipe causing the problem as I have replicated this error using other pipelines, like this one for example Midihub 2020.06.25 16.40.11 (Preset 1).mhp (352 Bytes)

From my experimentation the problem seems to be that anytime I create a situation where two identical notes are triggered simultaneously, that note hangs until I reboot both the Midihub and the Yamaha Reface CP

2 Likes

Hey, Scale Remap pipe got fixed in 1.11.4 firmware, we’ll get the other cases where notes may overlap fixed too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, I’m having same hung note/sustain problem with delay pipe going from Digitakt midi out to other synths midi in, have tried with organelle and yamaha reface and same problem with both Midihub 2020.09.29 19.42.41 (Preset 3).mhp (206 Bytes) see preset attached.

Hi all, I had the same stuck notes problem with my Reface CP. I’m pretty sure it’s a bug in the CP’s firmware because it doesn’t happen with other instruments. The stuck notes happened when using the Sustain pipe in front of the Apeggiator to hold patterns, then using a sustain pedal on a midi controller to let the notes overlap.

I was able to solve this my plugging my sustain pedal directly into the Reface CP instead of my controller. Another way to avoid the issue might be by bypassing the Sustain pipe when the Arpeggiator is off. Is there anyway to logically toggle parameters in a pipe? In other words could one bypass the Sustain pipe unless the Arp is on?

I just revisited this issue and discovered that using the chance pipe immediately after the arpeggiator pipe is causing stuck notes on my Reface CP. I’ve tried with and without using the sync flag inside of chance and get the stuck notes either way. Anyone have an experience with this or suggestions?

Hey, could you build a minimal preset that would demonstrate the issue and upload it here? :slight_smile:

1 Like