Using Midihub to simulate an archaic MIDI clock/introducing randomized tempo variance

Hey all,
I’ve finally received my Midihub in the mail and am so excited to start using it!
I’ll preface this post by saying– this may already be possible. I am only an hour into playing with the Midihub editor and haven’t yet fully dove into what this thing can do. However…

My strange feature request is this; I would like to have Midihub simulate a BAD MIDI clock, but of course in a way that might be interesting and useful if used sparingly.

Some of the variables I’d like to influence include, perhaps:

• randomized/humanized tempo variance (adding or subtracting a few BPM on each downbeat)
  • clock drop outs (all channels mute for a variable length of time)
  • clock/note delays (all channels delay for a second, the beat is played out of sync, then all channels return to tempo)
  • per channel tempo/sync variance (all channels play in tempo, but out of sync)
  • stuck notes (not sure why I’d want this, but nothing sounds more archaic than this!)

I can think of ways to accomplish a couple of these by switching rapidly between presets, however when it comes to clock changes, I’m lost.

Any help would be appreciated!

Indeed, some of these can be achieved using existing pipes, but you’d have to control it via MIDI mapped parameters:

• clock drop outs (all channels mute for a variable length of time)

• Use filter pipe to filter out clock, map Bypass parameters to enable or disable the filter
  • clock/note delays (all channels delay for a second, the beat is played out of sync, then all channels return to tempo)

• Use Delay pipe, when it is Wet 100%, you only hear what is inside the delay loop. (there’s a bug with this currently though, will be fixed in the next firmware release)
  • per channel tempo/sync variance (all channels play in tempo, but out of sync)

• Use Sync Delay pipe to drop different numbers of clock messages before the go out to different output ports. Also use Transform pipes to convert some input events into additional ‘clock’ messages, so you may shift forward.
  • stuck notes (not sure why I’d want this, but nothing sounds more archaic than this!)

• Use Filter pipe to filter out Note Off events, use Bypass param mapping to control it.

Better to use MIDI mapped parameters, especially the Bypass param to turn on and off various functionality within the preset. :slight_smile:

1 Like