Clock as fallback device

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, I thought this would have been default behaviour of the Clock Pipe if receiving a clock input but when I tried it the output was both clocks combined.

What I would like is a consistent clock on my outputs, which is always running, but the tempo and timing to be set by one of my inputs, do why the input is present and clock running this will go to all outputs, but if that clock disappears then the Clock Pipe will continue running at the BPM it was previously set to.

The reason I want this is that my main clock source and what decides the tempo is my MPC Live 2 and I want other tempo synced devices (arps, tempo based FX etc) to still be able to run as the MPC is loading the next song. Most likely I’ll also take Stop message out to some devices in one Preset but without the Clock performing the way I expected there’s no need to really think about that just yet…

Why do you want your MPC to be the clock master if it’s not constantly available?

Did try to let the Midihub to generate and send clock? With the latest update it should be possible to control it from an external device. In your case the MPC as a master controller not sending clock.

Because the MPC loads the songs in which the tempo is determined and it varies depending on which song I choose to play next. But I don’t want clock to stop while the next song is loaded, I want to continue being able to fill in the gaps with Arps, CV and tempo related effects while the next song is loadinig without the tempo suddenly jumping to the default in the Clock pipe.

Is the only way using a CC to set the tempo of the Clock device? I did see this was possible but didn’t bother to set it up (but will do if it’s the only way) I just thought an auto-sync to incoming clock would make sense.

Also if the tempos do differ between songs I may change it slowly on the currently playing track to match the next track before starting to load. This is much easier on the main screen in front of me with the tempo displayed in the actual BPM, not me remembering the needed CC value and having to switch to another page to see this value.

Yes, it would be nice if the Midihub could replicate and takeover the incoming clock!

One problem could be that the master sequencer also has to receive incoming clock if you want to do tempo manipulation on tje Midihub… and I think that’s what’s the main purpose of the current clock module.

Which wouldn’t be necessary in your use case, where the clock module should constantly adjusts itself to the incoming clock signal. Replicate and let the Midihub be the clock master for all other devices.

Exactly. Something like a “Reclock” checkbox in the parameters page to enable this kind of use while leaving the current as it is currently would be one solution that could maybe keep everybody happy.

But thanks for conforming it isn’t currently possible. I did feel I must have just been missing something as surely others have tried to do this…

1 Like

And talking solutions, maybe the current clock module could be used in your with a workaround. So the Cc you mentioned in your intro pattern to set the tempo of the clock module, so after the trigger the Midihub clock takes over. The MPC only receives clock, so it also stays in sync. Then you have best of both, because projects could run standalone or synced to the external clock, just like your other gear.

I know the workaround using CC is possible, that’s why I mentioned them. It’s rather clunky, imprecise and lacks decent visual feedback though.

Can I use a Transform Pipe between my MPC and the Clock to get exactly what I want? I hadn’t thought of that before but it has Clock listed as available message type. I guess Clock to CC and it would automatically use the range expected by the Clock Pipe, right?

EDIT: Nope, unfortunately it doesn’t have from BPM as an option of the CC Value setting. This would be another way to do it (but inside the Clock Pipe I think is tidier.)

Also didn’t use it yet, but would try to use a Cc or even better a Note on/off in your sequence. But I think you would need a pre-roll pattern / short set-up pattern for this.

While the Clock is stopped, Tap Tempo waits for Measure Duration amount of taps and automatically starts the Clock on the next beat.

That would be the case if you first start your set. But you could also pre-set the tempo manually.

If the Clock is running, Tap Tempo adjusts the BPM on the second tap, and keeps averaging the BPM for up to 32 taps.

This would be the case when you load a new song / project in the MPC and start it. The setup pattern would run and adjust the tempo, after which the new track starts on the next beat with the new tempo.

Tap Tempo buttons can be mapped to a CC or MIDI Note. In case of CC, only the value 127 triggers the control, while any Note On and Note Off velocities are sufficient to trigger the buttons.

I would try to test this with a 4, 8, 16 and 32 beats pattern. The first as the pre-roll (start the new track 4 beats before switching) and maybe the other lengths for kind of gradually changing the tempo.

Oh, I thought that, when @Kazakore was talking about “workaround using CC is possible”, that meant setting BPM directly via a mapping CC placed in the sequence at key points.

This would set the BPM immediately.

I saw this done in one post, I think: the MH Clock started and stopped in response to a DAW’s Start & Stop messages I recall. (Been looking for the link, but no luck so far).

PS. anyone mapping to BPM should note that it goes up by 2.0 BPM per CC value. Max when mapped is 284.0 BPM, so if your BPMs are 142 or less you can Tempo Div by 2 to get finer control

Yeah sending the CC value to the BPM parameter to instantly set the BPM is the method I was meaning. Not sure where I read it now as just reread the Clock page in the documentation and it’s not actually mentioned there, but I know it is mappable.

Thanks for the details on how it works. So it’s a minimum of 30 with a value of 0 input (going on your 284 max) and thus BPM = 30+2xCC or CC=(BPM-30)/2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spot on.
So back when I saw it done, ‘‘twas during 1.13.4 so was done directly with CC.
Now, with 1.15, you could set it up in more readable ways like a note on a “non-musical” channel.

Btw, does your device send out transport messages?(Stop etc)

Yes it’s sending transport messages. I’ll be filtering out the Stop to some of my devices though, so they can continue when the MPC goes to load.

You’re home & dry then:
a CC value (or a note on say Ch16) at the end of a track and the Stop being Transformed before a Virtual out, then those virtual mappings Added to the BPM and Started properties
then do similar for Start and “new BPM”

Are there big differences between successive BPMs btw?

I don’t play the tracks in a predefined order so there can be a rather large difference. Most of my stuff falls between 90 and 120 project tempo but could play the odd bit at 140 or 1450 ish (it’s mostly actually double that but before I had the MIDIHub most my tempo based effects sounded whack at full rate so I used half tempo in the projects.) But for transitions if the tempos are too far off I’ll break it down to filtered noise so it doesn’t sound like a jump and hopefully the new tempo is picked up in sync when changing it on the Clock Pipe.

I sometimes already have to resync external devices with hitting the Play Start button on the MPC while it’s already playing so I can possibly cope with it needing a lead in pattern or needing to be synced again after changing tempo, if I know it’s going to need it. Preferably I wont have to do this though.

Great.
Could be useful to others if you post up that section of your patch when you’ve got it up and running.

Cheers R

But for transitions if the tempos are too far off…

PS. I’ll tip you a wink when I’ve got my Fluid Transitions patch rewritten for virtual mapping world