New Midihub user in the magical world of Pipes > Clock, Start, Stop!

Hiya,
I’m a new Midihub user and have trouble figuring out how to filter clock and start/stop messages.
A Squarp Pyramid hardware sequencer is master and at the moment I’m using a Kenton Thru-5 through which midi messages go to synths, a drum machine and another sequencer.
The problem is that I want to send start/stop and clock only to the slave sequencer but not to the drum machine and synth (I’m using the Pyramid to sequence all the rest). I’m thinking of replacing the Thru-5 with the Midihub so that I could filter which midi channels get start/stop and clock and which not. I’d like start/stop and clock to be sent on midi channels 1-11 but not on channels 12-16.
All the help on how to assemble a pipeline that solves my problem is most welcome! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello!
The Midihub gives you a lot of possibilities to route most midi messages the way you like. So what you want should be an easy job for the Midihub.

There is Filter pipe that you can place in the pipeline and it will filter unwanted messages (start, stop, clock and continue messages as well). So Filter pipe alone between two devices should work if you don’t want the clock and such messages.
There is also Channel Range Filter where you can easily set channels and channels’ ranges (eg. 1-11 or 12-16) you want or not want to be in use.

Mixing these two pipes in pipelines gives you probably all of possibilities to choose and route midi messages between your devices.

2 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that the realtime transport messages like start, stop, continue, clock don’t have any ‘Channel’, and every device listens to them. So these messages can only be filtered out for an entire output port. In this case, you’d want to connect the sequencer to one of the Midihub’s outputs, and the other devices should be daisy chained to another Midihub output port. There should be a filter pipe on that output filtering out the unneeded messages.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies.
Giedrius, I hadn’t thought of that. I may have to re-arrange my whole midi routing because of this.
Actually by doing just that I can use the Midihub for other, more imaginative tasks :smiley:
Live and learn!
Out of curiosity, if I could filter clock/start/stop per channel, would the correct pipe order be:
from A > filter (clock, start,stop) > filter cha (12-16) > to A to restrict mentioned messages from reaching mentioned channels?
Just making sure if I’ve got the hang of it…

2 Likes

The order of Filter pipes themselves could be either way in this example. Each filter drops certain messages, passing the others through. What’s really important is what message end up reaching the output ports on the very right of the pipeline.

1 Like