I'm not getting sound out

Hi,

I’m getting no sound out of pisound.

config: raspberry pi 2 B, raspbian stretch

after a clean install of raspbian, all I’m doing is:

I’m getting sound, through the pi’s minijack output…
It looks like pisound is never set as the default card.

Can you help me trouble shoot?

I’ve unmounted pisound a couple times, reinstalled several times. I’m powering the pi via the computer USB slot (macbookpro), is that a problem.
Side question: is there an LED that’s supposed to be blinking when outputing sound from pisound?

Thanks

The minijacks are most likely bypassed the 1/4 inch Jack output on the HAT is what you need to connect to

Run speaker-test -Dhw:pisound -c2 -r48000. Usually it’s best not to have Pisound set as the default card, so it does not get grabbed by any system audio software, and manually configure the software you want to use with Pisound to use it.

This could be a problem, as even some wall phone chargers are unable to deliver the required power. We recommend using the Raspberry Pi universal power supply.

Yes, it was the power source. I used a different power source to plug to and it now works. Thanks!

If I may suggest, I think this quote should definitely be part of the installation docs:

Run speaker-test -Dhw:pisound -c2 -r48000. Usually it’s best not to have Pisound set as the default card, so it does not get grabbed by any system audio software, and manually configure the software you want to use with Pisound to use it.

This minimal testing command is pretty vital for a newbie, as is the advice not to select the pisound card as default. We need to make sure sound can come out of pisound before diving into the actual fun…

Cheers

2 Likes