Audio output stopped working

sorry to revive the thread, i’ve started facing a similar issue. pisound does no longer output sound, but it seems all the gpios are working fine. i’ve got a pi4 with pisound and it is seemingly detected during boot, jack does also start, but no sound is being played at the output jack. is there something i can test or might there be some failure on the pisound board?

best,
dormir

Hey, let’s troubleshoot this in a new topic.

So if I understood it correctly, the issue is that the sound output was working normally at first, but suddenly you get no analog audio output.

• Did anything significant happened recently software or hardware wise? (like did you install additional software / reflash the sd, switched to a different power supply, swapped the Pisound to another Pi board etc…)

• Please run dmesg > dmesg.log after trying to produce audio output and attach the resulting dmesg.log file here for inspection.

• Do you have a spare SD card that you could use to flash a fresh OS image (either Patchbox OS or Raspberry Pi OS), and see if you get any audio output?

Okay, thanks for re-ordering into a new thread, since it seems to be a different issue.

Nothing significant happened, I just didn’t use it for a few months.

I have different sd cards and already tried re-installing before coming here.

I’ve also tried to check the GPIOs with gpiotest without pisound attached and all gpios on my pi4 seem to be working fine.

The issue is, no sound is being produced at the output jack.

aplay.txt (789 Bytes)
dmesg.txt (35.1 KB)
jackstatus.txt (1.2 KB)

Looks like everything is fine in the logs.

What commands / programs do you use to test the audio output? Do they give any errors?

i’ve tried it with my usual (aka “known to work”) supercollider patches, and also with

sudo systemctl stop jack
speaker-test -c2 -r48000 -Dhw:pisound

no errors were being seen in dmesg or commandline–

best
dormir

Do you have an alternative Pi unit to try using with Pisound?

The symptoms thus far indicate either a hardware issue on Pisound (we haven’t seen any audio components fail on their own in Pisound’s history, unless some of the key components went physically missing, like accidentally scratched off), or a problem with the Pi itself, which can be ruled out by using a different unit.

Last issue could be inadequate power supply.