Input to pisound from passive guitar piezo pickup

Hi friends,

I just ordered a pisound the other day and I wanted to know what I can expect from the onboard input it has. Would I be able to plug a guitar with a internal passive bridge pickup directly into it? Or would I need a di box or some other kind of preamplification first?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi, you should be able to hook up your guitar directly to Pisound’s input. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Oh wow that’s potentially great news!
I just realized I was maybe unclear in the original post… I am actually talking about a passive undersaddle piezo pickup for a nylon string acoustic guitar. Namely, something with pretty high impedance. Something like this . Although I am unsure of the exact model number, it was a long time ago since it was installed… Would this still work?

0 Likes

I couldn’t find the electrical specs of this device, so can’t tell, but I guess you should hook it up directly to Pisound’s input and see whether additional amplification in between the guitar and Pisound is necessary.

0 Likes

If it sounds strange (like in the sound being different from what you expect in terms of timbre) then it might be an impedance problem. Might be solvable by using a DI box between the pickup and the Pisound.

0 Likes

Yes the impedance issue is what I think might happen… I actually have not received my pisound yet, but it should be soon and I will let you guys know what happens. For some kind of reference: I can plug my guitar directly into the line in of a Zoom h4n and get actually really nice sound from that when using it is an audio interface–with of course some minor eq fiddling…

I have a couple of ideas of how to integrate the pi sound around the fishman acoustic amp I have as well. Seeing, e.g., how the effects loop of the amp could pass through the pisound, In that case, the amp itself would function as a DI and there would be no problem either way. But also, I am more interested in using guitar input to trigger pure data information through things like bonk~ and sigmund~ into synth (probably mainly automatonism) sounds and also maybe midi out data. Considering this, I wonder if a direct input into the pi sound, regardless of impedance problems, could serve their purpose in being picked up by those objects and then pass through into the channel input of my amp, where the dry sound could be properly dealt with in terms of gain and padding and all that. Specifically, maybe I would be able to split the output of the pisound (with a y cable) to the dry guitar signal and all the other sounds that I will be producing, which themselves could be plugged into the aux input of the amp itself. Simply, outputting different things to each of the dac~ channels.

This is all kinda theoretical still, just thinking out loud :slight_smile: but I will see what happens and give an update to this just so others can know!

1 Like