Pure Data guitar effects and true sound straight through?

I know Pisound and Pure Data can create guitar effects, but how do you turn from just the guitar sound (straight through signal) to the effects ?

Hey! In a nutshell, the trick is to get some effect-like processing going on in between the [adc~] and [dac~] objects. :slight_smile:

Check out these effect patches (sudo apt install blokas-puredata-patches if they’re not there):

• /usr/local/puredata-patches/quadVocode/quad-vocode.pd
  • /usr/local/puredata-patches/LPV/LPV.pd

They produce effects on the incoming audio and then send it to output.

I’d recommend the MODEP image for more streamlined guitar effect experience. :slight_smile:

Thanks. But can a push button or similar, make the guitar sound go straight through. And then back to the effects when pressed again. I’m sure it should be possible.

Yes, the button pushes are integrated in MODEP to switch between pedalboards. You can have the first one to be your ‘bypass’ pedalboard, where the inputs is connected directly to the output. See https://blokas.io/modep/docs/MODEP-and-Pisound/ for more details.

A similar button mapping can be made for PD, but the switching would happen by killing existing PD instance and starting a new one, with a different patch. See here: Adding more button clicks

You could disable the pisound-btn functionality altogether (sudo systemctl disable pisound-btn), and detect Pisound’s button clicks by somehow reading the Raspberry Pi’s GPIO17 pin - when it goes low, the button is pushed down. I don’t know how to do it in PD, but I’m sure there are convenient ways to access it. :slight_smile:

Ok. I get it now. Of course there won’t be a pedalboard. It’s all onboard of the guitar. Next thing is to make it “recall” sounds that are created using the volume and tone on the guitar. Then make them appear as “patches” on a 1602 lcd screen.
And on. And on. And on …