Toggle option for bypass

From the support thread about using something other than cc commands to bypass a pipe or pipe element.

“I’m wondering if it would make sense for the bypass to have both momentary and toggle modes. Then it would be possible to select “toggle” for the bypass function, and then turn it on with the first occurence of a note on/off, and then turn it off again on the next occurence, and so on.”

At least a couple of people, myself included, have adopted a beatstep because its pads have a toggle mode allowing you to directly link a pad in controller mode to the bypass function for a pipe. This is great for enabling and disabling pipes in the same way as you would for a guitar pedal (my natural environment).
However, there’s two cases where I think toggle mode might benefit users

1. For those with different midi controllers without a latching switch set-up. For these uses, the need to maintain a cc value, or hold a note, if they wish to bypass a pipe for any length of time. This is tricky to do, especially live, and keen leave lots of hanging notes/ ccs in the system at the end if you don’t spcifically clean them up
  2. For a generative scenario, one could envisage pipes being enabled or disabled based on events happening in the unforlding music and, for this type of scenario, a toggled bypass mode would be easier to use because it will require only a brief event to be generated, rather than a cc/note state held for a long period of time, to make happen.

I hope I’m using the Feature request area appropriately,
Thanks

I have the exact predicament that you are describing. I’m trying to toggle a filter using the pads on an MPK mini.

The controller in fact has the option to set the pads to ‘toggle’ mode, and it does work … usually. But many times (say ~20%) the midihub is not responding and I feel that an actual toggle mode for these settings, based on a full note on/off sequence, would be more reliable than to align the start and end of the note or CC cycle.

Yes, we have plans for extending the MIDI mapped parameters functionality with features that’d enable uses like this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am also interested in this feature. I have two mutually exclusive pipes and I would like to be able to “flip-flop” between the two with a CC message.

I get the impression that this type of functionality is going to be enabled pretty soon, now, which is incredibly exciting :slight_smile: One thing I will say @Giedrius, as it’s on the top of my mind, is that if you enable toggling of bypass states then you might need the ability to set the default state when the patch is first loaded. That will allow a patch designer the create a pipe design with mutually exclusive pipelines where both are enabled at powerup … any number of fault conditions might arise from the doubling of clocks fo full on midi loops … food for thought :slight_smile:

Toggles in Midihub are off with a CC value in the range 0-63, on in the range 64-127.
If pads maintain their velocity sensitivity, it can be tricky. My controller has toggles too and I can set the range from 00 to 64. This make it always work.

Any update on this? I’m really in need of this and currently struggling to set up an external microprocessor to achieve it. Life would be so much easier if the MH could natively toggle bypass on notes. Also it would be great if I could just type in the bypass value as well as the learn option.

would be awesome to have this feature!!

I agree: It would be awesome!
Experimenting with Transform pipe with no result…

What do you mean, Eddie?

My toggle switch (the mapped function to bypass a pipe) is a Note Button, a D2, so I tried to transform just the Note Off of that D2 in a Note On, I`ve done this with ‘Replace’ and with ‘Insert after’ but -as I told you- a Transform pipe can’t be used to make a momentary switch to a toggle switch.

I see!

Transform pipe can’t be used to make a momentary switch to a toggle switch

Not directly, No.
Current ways to do it are quite convoluted for a task this simple.

1 Like

Hi @resonotter ,

Any update on when this option could be coming?

I think it’s the biggest missing feature.

A “mapping” pipe with options to filter a note or CC message, invert values and toggle mode before mapping would be just enough :slight_smile:

as a fellow mere mortal, @L-N the answer is I don’t know!

1 Like

haha ok! I hope the gods are watching us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to add my name to the “please can we have the toggle” throng!
best

Neil

New user came to find out why bypass by note and cc is so odd, I would really like to bypass by toggle of a note on value or cc value. I see its been a while, is this still planned?

Try this virtual mapping technique