Bypass control via other than CC

Hello,
I have the following problem; I want to control the bypasses of some pipes. Now, I don’t have a midi controller (yet) that can send cc-codes so I tried to do it with an old drum module. The 12 pads of that module are sending out note numbers.
When I map the bypass parameter of any pipeline with one of those pads, then it works fine but only for one time. (looking at the detail of the bypass mapping, it clearly shows the correct incoming midi channel and note number so I’m sure the mapping procedure worked fine)
Is there any specific reason why I can use that bypass parameter only one time?

Hi,

Notes mappings:
Note On message turns bypass on.
Noto Off messsge turns bypass off.

Question:
Is your drum pad sending note On only? Or maybe On and Off immediately? Or can toggle On and Off?

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer!
Didn’t think of that, I was kinda hoping that any signal would just toggle the bypass parameter…
The pads are sending note on only I guess but I’m not sure about that.
For now, I am experimenting with the transform pipe without success though.

1 Like

I’m wondering if it would make sense for the bypass to have both momentary and toggle modes. Then it would be possible to select “toggle” for the bypass function, and then turn it on with the first occurence of a note on/off, and then turn it off again on the next occurence, and so on.
Currently, I’m simply using a Beatstep to control the pipes and configuring pads to transmite a CC value of 127 if off, and 0 if on. hence, if a pad is off, the pipe see a 127 from the cc mapped to it, and bypass is enabled (turning the pipe off).
I ve been wondering about the option of using notes, though.

3 Likes

Feature request +1.
I prefer notes for toggling bypass option. I cannot hold keyboard note to keep pipeline bypassed for a long! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would indeed also like the “toggle” function. (Ordered the beatstep in the mean time, was already planning that) Enabling toggle mode would save one button…

1 Like

Interesting you guys say it needs toggle, because when i map my mpk88’s toggle buttons to bypass it works exactly like that. I guess if you don’t have a midi controller with toggle buttons/switches then the midihub would need the feature to work similarly.

1 Like

A lot of button controllers only have momentary mode so yes a toggle transformation would be nice. APC-MINI, Launchpads, etc.

1 Like

As an update; Beatstep arrived in my studio so my problem is solved. The Beatstep has the toggle option so now I turn Bypasss on and off with one button. (Beatstep was the best option as it has the 5pins midi connection, other cheap controllers only have usb) I’m very happy with this because now I can make lots of “presets” in one preset.
I’m not sure if the toggle feature request needs to be done again in the correct subforum for those who need it…

2 Likes

Hey,
I’ve just done as you have suggested, Hermax.
The Beatstep is working really well for me, but only when using pipes as virtual stomp boxes and I think the toggle option will help other users
Thanks

We’re considering adding a pipe that would help implement ‘toggle’ function for MIDI controllers that don’t provide it by default. I see the feature request is here: Toggle option for bypass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent news … thank you :slight_smile: