Throttle and Sustain Incoming Midi Notes?

I’m looking for creative ideas on how to use Midihub functionality to:
-Limit how many Notes/Events are played per second or other timing (beats/measures)
-Limit the number of currently played notes to 1 (monophonic)

The primary outcome I am seeking is a pipeline(s) that would result in music where only one note is playing at any given time, and sustained for ~4 seconds. I don’t have a preference for which notes ‘win’, I am just looking for that single note, sustained playback, to slow down an aggressive ‘player’ already constrained to a scale.

Can you think of combinations that could get me close, with Midihub?

I’d try something like the following
Midihub_ThrottleSketch_a

Length limits the note length, making them short, reducing the number of notes on at the same time
Sustain set with sustain on, and mode = chord will hold all recent notes on and replace them when a new distinct and separate note comes along. Arp takes whatever notes are sustained and performs an arpeggio function playing only one of the sustained notes at a time … I’d probably choose the random pattern. In the arp you can set the time division and note length. I’d set both to be 1 bar which, at 120bpm will produce notes of 4 seconds in length … give it a go and let us know how you get on :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I would not have come up with this and will certainly try it.
Thank you for your creative thinking!

1 Like