Pisound on Tinker Board!

Continuing the discussion from Pisound and Asus Tinker:

Hey guys, I got Pisound working with Tinker Board S, running 20181023-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.8.img image.

Pisound Module setup on Tinker Board

# Set up kernel sources so we can build the Pisound module, change 2.0.8 to the OS image version you're using.
sudo apt install libssl-dev
git clone --depth 1 -b 2.0.8 https://github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel/ linux
cd linux
make ARCH=arm miniarm-rk3288_defconfig
make ARCH=arm modules_prepare
cd ..
sudo mv linux /usr/src/linux
sudo unlink /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
sudo unlink /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/source
sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/source

# Download, build and install Pisound module and overlay
cd ~
git clone -b tinkerboard https://github.com/BlokasLabs/pisound
cd pisound/pisound-module
make ARCH=arm
ARCH=arm sudo -E make install

# Enable Pisound overlay
echo intf:dtoverlay=pisound | sudo tee -a /boot/hw_intf.conf

# Restart the system
sudo reboot

Afterwards, aplay -l, arecord -l and amidi -l should list Pisound, and it should be usable.

To disable Pisound, comment out or remove intf:dtoverlay=pisound line from /boot/hw_intf.conf

Please give it a go and let us know how it goes! If you confirm that it works well, we’ll go ahead and submit the code to Tinker Board’s Linux tree, so only enabling the Pisound overlay would be necessary.

Optional firmware upgrade to 1.02

I found a small issue with MIDI communication when Pisound is mounted on Tinker Board S, which did not occur with any of the Raspberry Pi’s, and a fix in the firmware was necessary to get it working well with the Tinker Board.

This update is not needed if you don’t use Pisound with Tinker Board. If you do upgrade, Pisounds running 1.02 firmware will continue to work with the Raspberry Pi boards.

The firmware upgrade must be performed using Raspberry Pi, as I was not able to get avrdude working on Tinker Board.

To do the upgrade, follow the instructions here: https://github.com/BlokasLabs/pisound-firmware

Pisound and Asus Tinker

cool!

do you know if this is compatible with the original Tinkerboard?
… if you don’t I can give it a go.

does the image have pisound module setup already?
(so the module setup instructions are required for if im running an existing distro?)
so we just need to update the pisound firmware? (cool can do this before, taking it off the rPI :slight_smile: )

Please give it a go. :slight_smile: I think that likely it will work, but let us know if you hit any issues along the way.

Pisound module is not integrated into Tinker Board’s OS images yet, but if your tests are successful, I’ll submit a pull request to integrate it.

Pisound will work on Tinker Board with 1.01 firmware too, the 1.02 fixes a MIDI reliability issue which didn’t occur on any of the Raspberry Pi boards.

will do…
(just need to track down another microSD card, I seem to be going them at a fast rate these days :slight_smile: )

sorry, my mistake, I thought the mistakenly thought the img you posted was on your server, so was you build - cool, I’ll download that, and then follow your instructions.

firmware, cool, but given i have to pull the pisound of a rPI to test, I might as well update it first… if it works on the Tinkerboard , then I can order yet another PiSound (my 3rd!)

Fantastic news!
It gives me hope that MODEP will be runnable on the Tinkerboard :slight_smile: