Pisound for Raspberry Pi 5?

I’m experiencing the same issue. Fine communication when I plug a midi controller in directly via usb, but absolute nonsense when i try to input via DIN midi. silence, no note offs, only really passes occasional or very high velocity notes. I’m using alsa but I can’t look at any of the pisound config because it fails to install bc im on 64 bit. really been killing my ability to use the pisound in any of the ways I had hoped to, so commenting to keep an eye out for any incoming fixes

The fix for MIDI on Pi 5 will be available in the latest Raspberry Pi kernel build, once it gets released, then sudo rpi-update can be used to get it, kernels with version equal or higher to 6.1.75 should work well.

pisound-config is not critical for Pisound operation, but will get sorted out as part of working on upgrading Patchbox OS to the latest stuff.

1 Like

Any idea or even a ballpark ETA for the new image build? Currently waiting with a Pi5 next to me!

The ball is in the RPi Foundation’s side of the court now, you can keep an eye on this link:

Apparently they’re planning to switch to 6.6 kernel tree from 6.1 one which may add some delay until a new build appears.

It is possible to get the fix now using this command:

sudo rpi-update

Is there an updated case?

@worik, not yet. We are still exploring options to address the heat issue. The official cooler is way too big to fit beneath Pisound.

I have found that you can add a short header extender that makes up the added distance that the cooler takes away. This allows the pisound to fit on the Pi5 perfectly. I had to add some custom standoffs for shoring it up. I don’t use a case so I can’t speak to cases.

I was able to use my Pi4 to update the OS per the post In this thread and then put it back into the Pi5 so it would boot. I was able to run the rest of the OS updates everything seems to work but I can’t seem to get a desktop to show up and I am not sure how to get it to work.

Any help here would be nice.

I have a feeling I will need to wait for the next OS/Kernel update.

Mod works sooo well now and I can’t wait to try and get my other projects working.

@Kam, could you please share the exact extender you are using?

This one I had was from my pi parts box. Pretty shure it was pulled from an old 3B.

Since it was a custom made 8.5mm (measured via callipers) for it to fit a case Adafruit made.

I get 90% of my parts from Adafruit so my best guess is this:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1979

Kat

2 Likes

so I modified the cooler:

with short testing it seems to work ok. The fan and jack socket is the tightest place, but by careful filing it sat ok there.

Though it is quite brute force and bit worried that the insulation tape will melt and there will be problems… but yeah, there it is in the box now.

So I wanted to give an update on my Pi5 experance thus far. Since upgrading broke things, I put a fresh 64bit PiOS image on the fastest SD card I have and the pisound is showing up and working perfectly out of the box. Amazingly so. This should hold me over till we see a new release of Patchbox.

As always your mileage may very.

Has anyone else tried the little 8.5mm header yet?

K.

1 Like

The .deb packages that Pisound and most of Patchbox OS rely on have been ported for arm64 architecture, available for bookworm OS release.

The install-pisound.sh and apt-setup.sh scripts have been adjusted accordingly, and will automatically fall back to the previous .deb packages if the OS release is unsupported.

To install the basic Pisound software, run this command:

curl https://blokas.io/pisound/install.sh | sh

To only update the APT packages without installing anything, run this command:

curl https://blokas.io/apt-setup.sh | sh
7 Likes

This is great! Just to clarify, this doesn’t include the real-time kernel, correct?

Yes, it doesn’t affect the currently running kernel, apart from asking to upgrade it to a version containing the up to date Pisound driver.

Hi,
Thnx for all the info about pi5 and modep. I have installed it (Pisound - modep) and it works great. Because it is not a full Patchbox OS, there is no config for the Pisound to set sample rate and buffer size. I have found out thee jack settings can be changed in the file jackdrc. But when I set a sample rate of 96000 or 192000 (-r option) and restart the system I have no sound on the Pisound output. So the line in jackrdc is like this:
exec /usr/bin/jackd -t 2000 -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:pisound -r 96000 -p 128 -n 2 -X seq -s -S
When I restart jack the server is displaying this error:
Feb 23 10:31:24 raspberrypi5 jackdrc[6663]: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
It seems like it is impossible to change the sample rate. I can change the buffer size to 64 to reduce latency. I still would like the discover how the sample rate influences the latency and how far I can take it. On the other hand, I read an article about sample rate, harmonics and distortion/overdrive. and how a high sample rate can influence the sound (higher harmonics generating audible distortion).

Try increasing the -p to 256 and/or -n to 3.

For how the sampling rate and buffer sizes relate to latency, see Suitable as guitar effect pedal? - #2 by Giedrius or some other past discussions.

Hi Giedrius,
Thnx, tried -r 96000, -p 256 and -n 3 and that worked until modep starts up. So, checked jack settings and jack.service runs even with -r 192000 -p 128 -n 2
But as soon as I start modep-mod-host and modep-mod-ui jack gives

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Looks like a sync issue with modep. Do I need to change some settings for modep somewhere?

For now I will use these settings which seems to give the lowest latency with best sound:

exec /usr/bin/jackd -t 2000 -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:pisound -r 48000 -p 64 -n 2 -X seq -s

I omitted the -S switch so 32 bit is activated instead of 16 bit. Still would like to try out higher sample rates.

1 Like

After running sudo curl https://blokas.io/pisound/install.sh | s I get to the end and it seems to error at the end…

Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1) ...
Updating /usr/local/pisound...
sh: 1: cd: can't cd to /usr/local/pisound

Now you may run 'sudo pisound-config' to customize your installation!
patch@patchbox:~ $ sudo pisound-config
/usr/bin/pisound-config: 2: exec: /usr/local/pisound/pisound-config/main.py: not found

When looking I don’t see that directory per say but I do see pisound-config in /bin
However when you run it you are left with the following :

./pisound-config: 2: exec: /usr/local/pisound/pisound-config/main.py: not found

Looks as if things are working kind of?I am not sure why things are not pointing to the correct location as I currently mirror the patch@patchbox user/directory. I was hoping that it would have resolved the issue but it did not. Maybe a script edit?