Hacking a RigKontrol 2 as a MODEP controller

That’s great!

I’m happy to have helped you with this. Post a picture of your finished work, if you feel, I’m pretty curious…

Here is the rig kontrol up and running…I’m working on a patch in PD to make use of it’s capabilities, and I’m also trying out the idea of using a slider pot. to have as a second or third “pedal”. The neopixels are pretty glaring without any plastic insert, so I’ve just covered the holes with masking tape to soften the light a bit.

4 Likes

You could also scale down the values for the LEDs so they are dimmer, that’s what I did in a project I used these same LEDs on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done my friend! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I’ve glued the LEDs into a translucent led stripes plastic cover like this one (I didn’t use the metal part, just the plastic)

immagine

Then I glued it the into the RK chassis from the inside. This allowed to dim the light a little bit, and also to prevent dust and liquids to potentially enter and damage the LEDs… Sorry I forgot to mention this before… :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m very happy my work was helpful for you!

1 Like

Very pleased with it. Thanks again for your help.

So a little issue has come up. So far I’ve been working with PD from the “no module” setup in the patchbox setup. I’m having to log in as root in order that the neopixel library runs ok, but now trying to work with modep the browser won’t run when I’m logged in as root. How do you get around this? (I’m working with VNC to have access to the rpi desktop from my laptop).

I can’t quite understand the issue…

Running the script as a service with root privileges, doesn’t mean that you have to log in as root to use it. Your script, once launched from systemd, should be able to access neopixels library by itself. Furthermore, it is definitely not recommended to log in as root, but in the case you need to launch some tasks with root privileges, use the sudo command instead.

If you need to access the modep interface, you could use your laptop browser, and connect to your RPi IP address, instead of using the internal browser through VNC. It should be way faster

1 Like

Yes, I realise that logging in as root is not ideal at all. When I boot the Pi, the systemd script runs and the rig kontrol works fine up to the moment when I log in using VNC as user patch, at which point the rig kontrol freezes and loses all function. If I’m logging in with ssh over a terminal or using the osx finder via netatalk it’s all ok and rig kontrol continues to function. So it’s a VNC thing… Anyway, following your advice and using Safari works perfectly. So problem solved really.

Uhmm… It sounds strange. I don’t recall to have ever used VNC on my system, so I can’t help with this.

Anyway, I’m happy you solved the problem. :slight_smile:

Ciao aFunkyBass,
really a nice project. Thanks for sharing the details and your code!

1 Like

Seems every year I look for solutions to make use of my Rig Kontrol 2. This is great. Can you tell me what OS you run all this on?

I run it on Patchbox OS. The blokaslabs Linux distro for RaspberryPi.

1 Like