VNC Screen Resolution

That’s odd - the changes in config.txt shouldn’t be related to USB at all…

So the patch could load OK from the USB, but it wasn’t writable by you?

Tried again this evening and it works now…Sorry for any confusion caused.

1 Like

I had the same problem as original poster. VNC resolution for me was locked at 1024x768.
I agree with the solution of editing boot.txt to set the desired framebuffer width and height.
The key change for me was also to comment out dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d. This is GL driver support. I didn’t know I wanted it until I installed the Protokol MIDI Monitor so I could explore Touch OSC.
Protokol complains on open:
Your system appears to be running a software rendered graphics driver causing the application to run extremely slow. Please see the following link on how to enable the ‘GL (Full KMS)’ driver: https://raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/raspi-config.md.
This led me to renable the Fake KMS GL option (Full is not available to me on Patchbox). What I noticed was, ZynAddSubFx seemed a little snappier to me with GL support enabled. I like ZynAddSubFX for my Pi4 but it is very slow to navigate the interface and adjust presets. Using the CPU tray indicator, I observe ~35% CPU with GL support, plus Carla and ZynAddSubFX GUI loaded, vs ~75% without GL support, and the same applications open.

If like me, you want to keep the GL driver loaded, there is still a way to change the resolution (after logging in). The command that worked for me inside the ‘small window with GL’ VNC session was “xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080”. I have not figured out how to incorporate this into vnc startup at boot (please reply if you know how). I hope this helps someone who wants both GL support and higher VNC resolution(s).

1 Like