Making VNC server work with tightvnc or Remimma clients

Hello, long time lurker first time poster. Finally got around to setting up a Pisound circa the crowdfunding from 2017. Yikes, that feels like ancient history!

PatchboxOS is pretty cool, though I had one small quest to work around the project documentation to get a VNC client to connect. I hope this’ll help any of us using a Linux desktop and PatchboxOS headless with a VNC desktop.

First thing I tried is to connect via Remimma, the default remote desktop client for Gnome. The response was:

Remimma “unsupported security protocol”

Then I switched to a cli viewer, tightvnc

lee@henry:~/Downloads$ vncviewer 192.168.1.198
Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.3
No configured security type is supported by 3.3 VNC Viewer

After a little more reading, RealVNC viewer was mentioned. It isn’t in my package repo and the default Rpi VNC server has a security default that isn’t compatible with VNC clients other than RealVNC. So some defaults need to change, as documented in the upstream project.

After following this procedure, I could connect via VNC through Remimma and tightvncviewer. Yea!

To change the display resolution, use the GUI at preferences => raspberry pi configuration => display
There is an older thread with different instructions to change the resolution which I didn’t need to follow.

2 Likes