Update to Mod 1.10

That’s awesome! Let me know in case you have any questions on how everything is put together in the modep-debs and patchbox-os-debs repos - it all kind of follows the same formula for each package, and debhelper was used to generate the deb package makefiles for each package from source code. Then those makefiles were hand-edited to make sure the things get built the right way and the packages contain files at correct locations. Sometimes it was necessary to edit the package source code to make debhelper pick up some certain dependencies, or make sure the files get installed correctly.

How To Save Presets
https://community.blokas.io/t/patchbox-os-modep-plugin-presets/2497/16

To set up saving pedal/plugin presets (only need do this once):

sudo mkdir /home/modep
sudo chmod 777 /home/modep
sudo mkdir /home/modep/.lv2
sudo chmod 777 /home/modep/.lv2
1 Like

Hello, I am having this error when installing

Preparing to unpack .../libc-dev-bin_2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libc-dev-bin (2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1) over (2.28-10+rpi1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /home/patch/mod/linux-headers-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 package architecture (arm64) does not match system (armhf)
dpkg: error processing archive /home/patch/mod/linux-image-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb (--unpack):
dpkg: error processing archive /home/patch/mod/linux-libc-dev_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb (--unpack):
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/patch/mod/linux-headers-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb
 /home/patch/mod/linux-image-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb
 /home/patch/mod/linux-libc-dev_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I am awaiting my Raspberry Pi 4B, Pisound and Pisound case any day now and I am wondering whether MOD OS v1.10 is going to become part of the official Patchbox OS distribution.

Thanks

We will likely get around to this at some point, but it takes a lot of man hours to get it updated, as well as all the plugins, and making sure everything works ok, solving any issues or incompatibilities in the process.

If anyone who knows how to package software from source to Debian packages and can make sense of https://github.com/blokaslabs/modep-debs would like to help out, let us know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been programming for many decades but never had any experience building debian packages. If someone like myself wanted to help out, where would you suggest I start?

1 Like

There’s documentation and guides on various tools and standards that are used, from the top of my head:

• Guide for Debian Maintainers - explains the internals of Debian packages and procedures and provides info for some common tasks
  • debhelper - a tool that can pretty much generate the buildscripts from source code of a package, and figure out the debian package dependencies, then you customize it to fix any special cases
  • Filesystem Hierarchy Standard - Wikipedia - where goes what file
  • systemd.service - if there’s a need for a background service to be running for a package, it should be done using systemd

You have to know Linux and shell scripting well and have a good understanding of which files are supposed to go where on the file system, be comfortable with looking into the build files of the packages themselves (some use Makefiles, some use autoconf stuff, some use waf, some change their build system entirely in a new version, so it may be necessary to get acquainted with build scripts and systems of individual packages, especially if they’re producing files at wrong locations or are missing settable environment variables to provide install paths)

1 Like

Looks like I have some reading to do!

1 Like

Hi jt, I can and I am sure quite a few of us can be “Beta Testers” if you get it to somewhere near working. I have plenty of MicroSD cards lying around.

Thank You jtemple967 :slight_smile:

Any news on update to mod 1.10 for patchbox os?

Unfortunately with some situations at work I have no extra time to work on the upgrade. Blokas has been very responsive when I have questions so the problem is me, not Blokas.

2 Likes