Update to Mod 1.10

@deathbeard could you share the elk scripts? I have been toying with that os as well

I have unfortunately abandoned elk as it requires me to write drivers for my audio card(audio injector zero). It’s a nice platform, but very closed as far as support goes. It would be better to stick either with patchbox or something similar(I’m playing with realtimepi). My script will work on most raspbian based distros.

ahh yeah. honestly it is fairly obtuse and arduous to get anything going on the system. i got the highfi berry, not a bad price point but getting something useable is painful.

@deathbeard
hi, I’m trying this and after a few issues I have it up and running but here are my issues at present, maybe you can point me in the right direction

1. the file manager won’t let me upload anything (even after changing ownership to the folder - just produces a “server error” and does nothing
  2. even after copying manually the .wav files in the same directory of the IR loader they won’t show up in the list

I’ve checked the files to see if there was a reference but couldn’t find anything concrete

thanx in advance if you can help

Hey @1Bit sounds like the browsepy server is not running. Sounds like something went wrong during the install. Did you run the script on a fresh patchbox install? I used the script 3 days ago and it worked straight up. Maybe try on a fresh patchbox install on a 2nd SD(just in case)

I also just updated the script to remove the hotfix-1.10 branch as it is not needed anymore

hey @deathbeard
yes it was freshly installed but was playing about with Jack and other modules
I am trying again now without doing anything
just went through the initial setup
choosing the sound card for Jack and changed the password

let’s see how it goes this time :slight_smile:
will post later

ok so tried again
fresh install of patchbox and fresh installed the mod
I’ve managed to copy manually my IR to the correct folder and now they show up but the IR loader doesn’t work regardless of which wav file I use - just create no sound
actually none of the simulators works
sound is heard when you switch them off but when on, no sound :\
the browsepy still produces the same error “internal server error” when you try to upload something
could it be that the folder is owned by the root account?

also, I had to manually copy the service file as somehow didn’t make it to the systemd folder

not sure, I’ll play a little more with this but surely something is not working for me :slight_smile:
if you have any tips for troubleshooting possible issues let me know
thanx

So you can check the service status with the following commands:

sudo systemctl status browsepy
sudo systemctl status mod-host
sudo systemctl status mod-ui

Can you get sound at all? If not, you can try:
jack_load mod-monitor

@1Bit i had a line commented out in my script…sorry

Please run the following from home:

cd install
git pull
sudo ./install.sh

That should resolve the issues

Hi,
Yes I do get sounds but not when I add a cabinet
Any other effects I’ve added manually works fine
If I switch off the cabinet even if still in the chain, then I get sounds but not when on

Also the browsing for the file works, just won’t let mi upload anything or create a new folder etc.
It always generate the same error when I try to save, hence was thinking on permission

I’ll try the install again as suggested later on tonight and report back

Thank you very much for the help provided so far :blush:

Does the Alice in bones ir work?
Sounds like your IR wav files might have some silence at the beginning. This needs to be trimmed out and reuploaded. The plug-in can’t process the silence out.

no, none of the cabinets actually work
is not a matter of IR file but rather of the cabinet themselves
even the Bass cabinet makes no sound when powered on :\

not sure if is my sound card that is only 41k but all the other plugins work just fine

anyway I tried what you suggested but nothing was upgraded as all was the latest already and the script stopped at
Requirement already satisfied: pycrypto from git+git://github.com/dlitz/pycrypto@master#egg=pycrypto in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (2.6.1)

• mv /home/patch/mod /home/patch/install
  • mkdir /home/patch/.lv2
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/home/patch/.lv2’: File exists

the mod-monitor possibly is the problem
patch@patchbox:~/install $ sudo systemctl status mod-monitor
● mod-monitor.service - MOD-host
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mod-monitor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-08-10 22:30:44 BST; 31s ago
Process: 4518 ExecStart=/usr/bin/jack_load mod-monitor (code=exited, status=2)
Main PID: 4518 (code=exited, status=2)

Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: Starting MOD-host…
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox jack_load[4518]: could not load mod-monitor, intclient = 0 status = 0x 5
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: mod-monitor.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: mod-monitor.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: Failed to start MOD-host.

the browser things was a permission issue
changing ownership to the whole data folder has sorted out the issue and now I can upload files (even though I can’t use them) :smiley:

@deathbeard just to let you know
changed soundcard and tested with one that can perform 48000 and now the mod-monitor loads just fine and I can use the IR :slight_smile:
so as I thought it was my soundcard and somehow those cabinet maybe are hardcoded to 48000 :expressionless: not sure - so it wasn’t a problem with the compiling but rather my soundcard limitation
thank you

Ah yes, of coarse. Actually forgot that it requires 48k for sound card. I will add a not to the repo later to avoid further mishaps like this! Glad you got it working!

@deathbeard
have you experienced that mod-host won’t start after a reboot?
I was rebooting due to changes made to the config.txt and I noticed
in order to make it work again, I have to go through the following steps
run patchbox
Update jack settings (even though I don’t change anything - only select again the same)
start the service of mod-host mod-ui
if I reboot it happens again :thinking: and no matter how many times I stop/restrat the service it would never start till I do those steps again (which is not convenient for a headless unit)
any idea?
did you experience anything similar?
thank you in advance

This sounds like your jack settings are not being stored. You could always edit your jack.service file with your relevant settings. Not sure what card you’re using…

that’s what I thought as well but checking the status jack starts correctly
here some outputs
● mod-host.service - MOD-host
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mod-host.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:56:39 BST; 1s ago
Process: 1353 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mod-host -p 5555 -f 5556 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1354 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

when it fails to start

jack before reconfiguring through patchbox

● jack.service - JACK Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jack.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:52:46 BST; 5min ago
Main PID: 373 (jackd)
Tasks: 6 (limit: 3861)
CGroup: /system.slice/jack.service
└─373 /usr/bin/jackd -t 2000 -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:JamLab -r 48000 -p 256 -n 2 -X seq -s -S

after reconfiguring
● jack.service - JACK Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jack.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:59:06 BST; 11s ago
Main PID: 1654 (jackd)
Tasks: 5 (limit: 3861)
CGroup: /system.slice/jack.service
└─1654 /usr/bin/jackd -t 2000 -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:JamLab -r 48000 -p 256 -n 2 -X seq -s -S

Aug 25 15:59:06 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 95
Aug 25 15:59:06 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: self-connect-mode is “Don’t restrict self connect requests”
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: creating alsa driver … hw:JamLab|hw:JamLab|256|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|so
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: configuring for 48000Hz, period = 256 frames (5.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: port created: Midi-Through:midi/playback_1
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: port created: Midi-Through:midi/capture_1

and then loading mod-host works
● mod-host.service - MOD-host
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mod-host.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:59:53 BST; 6s ago
Process: 1671 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mod-host -p 5555 -f 5556 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1672 (mod-host)
Tasks: 25 (limit: 3861)
CGroup: /system.slice/mod-host.service
└─1672 /usr/local/bin/mod-host -p 5555 -f 5556

Aug 25 15:59:53 patchbox systemd[1]: Starting MOD-host…
Aug 25 15:59:53 patchbox mod-host[1671]: Forking… child PID: 1672
Aug 25 15:59:53 patchbox systemd[1]: Started MOD-host.
Aug 25 15:59:54 patchbox mod-host[1671]: mod-host ready!

couldn’t see any difference in jack config
and not sure if I can find out more on the failure as it doesn’t report much to give any hint :slight_smile:

Hi @deathbeard I just did a fresh install of patchbox and since modep didn’t want to install I decided to use your version instead. Everything seemed to install correctly and I can connect via the PI’s ip address. Of course because of this I have no plugins available to actually use. I’m running a Raspberry PI 4B 4GB so any assistance on getting the LV2 plugins and putting them in the right spot would be great.

Thanks for this updated version!

I will begin updating the Modep repos to mod 1.10 this week coming. It is a lot of work, but the community deserves to have IR cabsim! @Giedrius be on the lookout for some PRs for the update soon.

8 Likes