Update to Mod 1.10

Does the Alice in bones ir work?
Sounds like your IR wav files might have some silence at the beginning. This needs to be trimmed out and reuploaded. The plug-in can’t process the silence out.

no, none of the cabinets actually work
is not a matter of IR file but rather of the cabinet themselves
even the Bass cabinet makes no sound when powered on :\

not sure if is my sound card that is only 41k but all the other plugins work just fine

anyway I tried what you suggested but nothing was upgraded as all was the latest already and the script stopped at
Requirement already satisfied: pycrypto from git+git://github.com/dlitz/pycrypto@master#egg=pycrypto in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (2.6.1)

• mv /home/patch/mod /home/patch/install
  • mkdir /home/patch/.lv2
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/home/patch/.lv2’: File exists

the mod-monitor possibly is the problem
patch@patchbox:~/install $ sudo systemctl status mod-monitor
● mod-monitor.service - MOD-host
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mod-monitor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-08-10 22:30:44 BST; 31s ago
Process: 4518 ExecStart=/usr/bin/jack_load mod-monitor (code=exited, status=2)
Main PID: 4518 (code=exited, status=2)

Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: Starting MOD-host…
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox jack_load[4518]: could not load mod-monitor, intclient = 0 status = 0x 5
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: mod-monitor.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: mod-monitor.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Aug 10 22:30:44 patchbox systemd[1]: Failed to start MOD-host.

the browser things was a permission issue
changing ownership to the whole data folder has sorted out the issue and now I can upload files (even though I can’t use them) :smiley:

@deathbeard just to let you know
changed soundcard and tested with one that can perform 48000 and now the mod-monitor loads just fine and I can use the IR :slight_smile:
so as I thought it was my soundcard and somehow those cabinet maybe are hardcoded to 48000 :expressionless: not sure - so it wasn’t a problem with the compiling but rather my soundcard limitation
thank you

Ah yes, of coarse. Actually forgot that it requires 48k for sound card. I will add a not to the repo later to avoid further mishaps like this! Glad you got it working!

@deathbeard
have you experienced that mod-host won’t start after a reboot?
I was rebooting due to changes made to the config.txt and I noticed
in order to make it work again, I have to go through the following steps
run patchbox
Update jack settings (even though I don’t change anything - only select again the same)
start the service of mod-host mod-ui
if I reboot it happens again :thinking: and no matter how many times I stop/restrat the service it would never start till I do those steps again (which is not convenient for a headless unit)
any idea?
did you experience anything similar?
thank you in advance

This sounds like your jack settings are not being stored. You could always edit your jack.service file with your relevant settings. Not sure what card you’re using…

that’s what I thought as well but checking the status jack starts correctly
here some outputs
● mod-host.service - MOD-host
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mod-host.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:56:39 BST; 1s ago
Process: 1353 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mod-host -p 5555 -f 5556 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1354 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

when it fails to start

jack before reconfiguring through patchbox

● jack.service - JACK Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jack.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:52:46 BST; 5min ago
Main PID: 373 (jackd)
Tasks: 6 (limit: 3861)
CGroup: /system.slice/jack.service
└─373 /usr/bin/jackd -t 2000 -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:JamLab -r 48000 -p 256 -n 2 -X seq -s -S

after reconfiguring
● jack.service - JACK Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jack.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:59:06 BST; 11s ago
Main PID: 1654 (jackd)
Tasks: 5 (limit: 3861)
CGroup: /system.slice/jack.service
└─1654 /usr/bin/jackd -t 2000 -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:JamLab -r 48000 -p 256 -n 2 -X seq -s -S

Aug 25 15:59:06 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 95
Aug 25 15:59:06 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: self-connect-mode is “Don’t restrict self connect requests”
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: creating alsa driver … hw:JamLab|hw:JamLab|256|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|so
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: configuring for 48000Hz, period = 256 frames (5.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: port created: Midi-Through:midi/playback_1
Aug 25 15:59:07 patchbox jackdrc[1654]: port created: Midi-Through:midi/capture_1

and then loading mod-host works
● mod-host.service - MOD-host
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mod-host.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-08-25 15:59:53 BST; 6s ago
Process: 1671 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mod-host -p 5555 -f 5556 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1672 (mod-host)
Tasks: 25 (limit: 3861)
CGroup: /system.slice/mod-host.service
└─1672 /usr/local/bin/mod-host -p 5555 -f 5556

Aug 25 15:59:53 patchbox systemd[1]: Starting MOD-host…
Aug 25 15:59:53 patchbox mod-host[1671]: Forking… child PID: 1672
Aug 25 15:59:53 patchbox systemd[1]: Started MOD-host.
Aug 25 15:59:54 patchbox mod-host[1671]: mod-host ready!

couldn’t see any difference in jack config
and not sure if I can find out more on the failure as it doesn’t report much to give any hint :slight_smile:

Hi @deathbeard I just did a fresh install of patchbox and since modep didn’t want to install I decided to use your version instead. Everything seemed to install correctly and I can connect via the PI’s ip address. Of course because of this I have no plugins available to actually use. I’m running a Raspberry PI 4B 4GB so any assistance on getting the LV2 plugins and putting them in the right spot would be great.

Thanks for this updated version!

I will begin updating the Modep repos to mod 1.10 this week coming. It is a lot of work, but the community deserves to have IR cabsim! @Giedrius be on the lookout for some PRs for the update soon.

8 Likes

That’s awesome! Let me know in case you have any questions on how everything is put together in the modep-debs and patchbox-os-debs repos - it all kind of follows the same formula for each package, and debhelper was used to generate the deb package makefiles for each package from source code. Then those makefiles were hand-edited to make sure the things get built the right way and the packages contain files at correct locations. Sometimes it was necessary to edit the package source code to make debhelper pick up some certain dependencies, or make sure the files get installed correctly.

How To Save Presets
https://community.blokas.io/t/patchbox-os-modep-plugin-presets/2497/16

To set up saving pedal/plugin presets (only need do this once):

sudo mkdir /home/modep
sudo chmod 777 /home/modep
sudo mkdir /home/modep/.lv2
sudo chmod 777 /home/modep/.lv2
1 Like

Hello, I am having this error when installing

Preparing to unpack .../libc-dev-bin_2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libc-dev-bin (2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1) over (2.28-10+rpi1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /home/patch/mod/linux-headers-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 package architecture (arm64) does not match system (armhf)
dpkg: error processing archive /home/patch/mod/linux-image-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb (--unpack):
dpkg: error processing archive /home/patch/mod/linux-libc-dev_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb (--unpack):
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/patch/mod/linux-headers-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb
 /home/patch/mod/linux-image-5.10.74-rt54-v8+_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb
 /home/patch/mod/linux-libc-dev_5.10.74-1_arm64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I am awaiting my Raspberry Pi 4B, Pisound and Pisound case any day now and I am wondering whether MOD OS v1.10 is going to become part of the official Patchbox OS distribution.

Thanks

We will likely get around to this at some point, but it takes a lot of man hours to get it updated, as well as all the plugins, and making sure everything works ok, solving any issues or incompatibilities in the process.

If anyone who knows how to package software from source to Debian packages and can make sense of https://github.com/blokaslabs/modep-debs would like to help out, let us know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been programming for many decades but never had any experience building debian packages. If someone like myself wanted to help out, where would you suggest I start?

1 Like

There’s documentation and guides on various tools and standards that are used, from the top of my head:

• Guide for Debian Maintainers - explains the internals of Debian packages and procedures and provides info for some common tasks
  • debhelper - a tool that can pretty much generate the buildscripts from source code of a package, and figure out the debian package dependencies, then you customize it to fix any special cases
  • Filesystem Hierarchy Standard - Wikipedia - where goes what file
  • systemd.service - if there’s a need for a background service to be running for a package, it should be done using systemd

You have to know Linux and shell scripting well and have a good understanding of which files are supposed to go where on the file system, be comfortable with looking into the build files of the packages themselves (some use Makefiles, some use autoconf stuff, some use waf, some change their build system entirely in a new version, so it may be necessary to get acquainted with build scripts and systems of individual packages, especially if they’re producing files at wrong locations or are missing settable environment variables to provide install paths)

1 Like

Looks like I have some reading to do!

1 Like

Hi jt, I can and I am sure quite a few of us can be “Beta Testers” if you get it to somewhere near working. I have plenty of MicroSD cards lying around.

Thank You jtemple967 :slight_smile:

Any news on update to mod 1.10 for patchbox os?

Unfortunately with some situations at work I have no extra time to work on the upgrade. Blokas has been very responsive when I have questions so the problem is me, not Blokas.

2 Likes