Update PD to latest version

Hi Forum,

I use Patchbox OS with Pisound and PD. I want to use the latest “else” externals. They require a more recent version of pd (0.51-3). I checked the Pisound config for updating pd, it gives me the latest version is 0.5.0-2. Can I update via terminal or am I running into problems with Patchbox?

thanks Falk

Hey, you may safely upgrade the PD version, it won’t break anything for Patchbox OS :slight_smile:

Btw, if the version you’re after is not available on apt-get, you may try downloading the debs from Debian buster-backports repository:

It can get a bit messy, you have to try things out a bit and install the debs in correct order. If you get it working, please keep some notes, so others may follow the steps too. :slight_smile:

Hi Giedrius,

Thanks for your reply, I might give it a try and see where I end up, not sure if I manage without apt-get :sweat_smile:

cheers Falk

1 Like

good to know!

this looks exciting by the way:

anyone tried these?

I’ve tried my best to install the seven .debs of the latest pd, but the furthest I can get are puredata-gui, puredata-doc and puredata-dev, no matter what order I try. Because whenever I try to install the .debs of core, common, extra and utils I get stuck in seemingly infinite loops of having to upgrade dependencies like libc6, libasound2 etc. Seems like the only solution is for you to upgrade the whole PatchOS so that apt-get will be able to install the latest pd directly?

Upgrading pd is specifically an issue because basic pd-externals like cyclone do not work on the version capped by PatchOS. I’m a beginner with Linux, any help appreciated!

(Maybe I shouldn’t bump this thread—will create a new one as well.)