TR-8s / External keyboard / convert note to Tune CC

Hello, I have just bought a Tr-8s and I am wondering if i could somehow control the tune of sound played on tr8s by an external keyboard (keystep pro or pioneer squid) ?
I have read that it would need some sort of MIDI message processor in between, to convert Note On messages to Tune CC + specific Note number per part.
Can Midihub do that ?

Thanks for your help.

Most likely yes, what CC messages should be produced for the notes? What is the value relation to the note number?

Where did you read that? :slight_smile:

On another roland forum:

https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=61096

I would like the midihub to emulate what that max-for-live add on do in the linked video above.

Thanks for the feedback

Midihub can probably do that, but you have to figure out what are the MIDI messages and transformations involved, then we can help in setting that up in a preset.

Thanks Giedrius,

The https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TR-8S_MIDIImpleChart_eng01_W.pdf
midi shart shows that tuning of individual instruments is done with CC messages. To play a Low Tom (for example) chromatically you’d have to program your midi controller to send CC 29 to change the pitch and then send MIDI note 43 to trigger the Low Tom. You’d have to basically do this for each pad and hope that the tr8s can handle hitting two pads at once or in quick succession while tuning is being changed.

CC#20 BD TUNE
CC#25 SD TUNE
CC#46 LT TUNE
CC#49 MT TUNE
CC#52 HT TUNE
CC#55 RS TUNE
CC#58 HC TUNE
CC#61 CH TUNE
CC#80 OH TUNE
CC#83 CC TUNE
CC#86 RC TUNE

or alternatively the coarse control (one or the other)

CC#96 BD CTRL
CC#97 SD CTRL
CC#102 LT CTRL
CC#103 MT CTRL
CC#104 HT CTRL
CC#105 RS CTRL
CC#106 HC CTRL
CC#107 CH CTRL
CC#108 OH CTRL
CC#109 CC CTRL
CC#110 RC CTRL

Once again I would like to control the tr8s from a Pioneer Squid or Keystep pro (Squid is maybe more midi flexible).
Thanks in advance if you could show me the pipe drawing , I am not smart enough to understand how to do it on my own…

Lets’s start from something simple, like converting MIDI note number to BD + CC Tune:

TR8S.mhp (684 Bytes)

I don’t have the hardware, but if this works, this can be extended to the rest of the drums.

What this does is take note number played from the keyboard, transform it to Tune CC for BD (without scaling the value at all, but eventually you will probably want some scaled values instead), and set the note number to the one corresponding to BD. You may want to change the CC ID to BD CTRL ID, depending on what results you get.

This can be made more complex like adding some delay between the CC that’s produced and the following Note On (using Delay pipe, with Dry/Wet param set to 100%, Feedback 100%, Repetition 1, Sync off). Additionally, producing both BD CTRL and BD TUNE would be possible too, but we need to know the expected values for these, that are useful for actually performing with the instrument.

1 Like

:ok_hand: Thanks I’ll check that and come back to you. :pray:

1 Like