TR-8s / External keyboard / convert note to Tune CC

Hello, I have just bought a Tr-8s and I am wondering if i could somehow control the tune of sound played on tr8s by an external keyboard (keystep pro or pioneer squid) ?
I have read that it would need some sort of MIDI message processor in between, to convert Note On messages to Tune CC + specific Note number per part.
Can Midihub do that ?

Thanks for your help.

Most likely yes, what CC messages should be produced for the notes? What is the value relation to the note number?

Where did you read that? :slight_smile:

On another roland forum:

https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=61096

I would like the midihub to emulate what that max-for-live add on do in the linked video above.

Thanks for the feedback

Midihub can probably do that, but you have to figure out what are the MIDI messages and transformations involved, then we can help in setting that up in a preset.

Thanks Giedrius,

The https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TR-8S_MIDIImpleChart_eng01_W.pdf
midi shart shows that tuning of individual instruments is done with CC messages. To play a Low Tom (for example) chromatically you’d have to program your midi controller to send CC 29 to change the pitch and then send MIDI note 43 to trigger the Low Tom. You’d have to basically do this for each pad and hope that the tr8s can handle hitting two pads at once or in quick succession while tuning is being changed.

CC#20 BD TUNE
CC#25 SD TUNE
CC#46 LT TUNE
CC#49 MT TUNE
CC#52 HT TUNE
CC#55 RS TUNE
CC#58 HC TUNE
CC#61 CH TUNE
CC#80 OH TUNE
CC#83 CC TUNE
CC#86 RC TUNE

or alternatively the coarse control (one or the other)

CC#96 BD CTRL
CC#97 SD CTRL
CC#102 LT CTRL
CC#103 MT CTRL
CC#104 HT CTRL
CC#105 RS CTRL
CC#106 HC CTRL
CC#107 CH CTRL
CC#108 OH CTRL
CC#109 CC CTRL
CC#110 RC CTRL

Once again I would like to control the tr8s from a Pioneer Squid or Keystep pro (Squid is maybe more midi flexible).
Thanks in advance if you could show me the pipe drawing , I am not smart enough to understand how to do it on my own…

Lets’s start from something simple, like converting MIDI note number to BD + CC Tune:

TR8S.mhp (684 Bytes)

I don’t have the hardware, but if this works, this can be extended to the rest of the drums.

What this does is take note number played from the keyboard, transform it to Tune CC for BD (without scaling the value at all, but eventually you will probably want some scaled values instead), and set the note number to the one corresponding to BD. You may want to change the CC ID to BD CTRL ID, depending on what results you get.

This can be made more complex like adding some delay between the CC that’s produced and the following Note On (using Delay pipe, with Dry/Wet param set to 100%, Feedback 100%, Repetition 1, Sync off). Additionally, producing both BD CTRL and BD TUNE would be possible too, but we need to know the expected values for these, that are useful for actually performing with the instrument.

1 Like

:ok_hand: Thanks I’ll check that and come back to you. :pray:

1 Like

Hello, It is been a while but I still did not managed to make it work.
A lot of people would like to turn their TR-8S into a real groovebox being able to play melodically with it through an external keyboard.
A company has release an app that can manage that:

Could the midihub emulate that (there is a part dedicated to TR-8S on the video if you take time to look at it)?

Thanks for your help.

How did the above preset work out? Once a basic sound is manipulated according to your needs, the preset can then be scaled out to more sounds.

I managed to hear the BD sound (#36 = C1) on TR-8S when trigger from Pioneer Squid C1.

But I need your transform & remap expertise to hear the rest of the range.

Regards,
Alex

Looks like you have some parameters mapped to CCs or notes - at this time it’s not necessary to have any MIDI mappings for the preset.

What output do you get from the plain original preset?

Same as if I was using the tr-8s directly.
But the idea is to use the different pads on the Squid to play different note which you can only do per step via a knob on the Tr-8s.

alex

Please please, take look at this ideo (starting at 5:04)

[

Polynator tutorial
youtu.be

](https://youtu.be/yvKrJ1qbYPo?si=U30UXun_o6xGFxsp)

it will help you understand my/our problem I am sure !

Thanks again for your needed help.

Alex

It should reset the BD tune to a particular value. Try modifying the tune parameter and retrigger the BD through Midihub, it should reset it to the same value again. If this works, then the patch can be extended for more functionality.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback Giedrius but have you tried to look at the video I mentioned ?
I am sure it will give you a close idea of the right template …

regards,
alex

Do you mean CC#20 value=36? (that’s what Giedrius’ TR8S.mhp is sending)

The “tutorial”
Thing is it’s more of a demo than a tutorial!

you have to read between the lines to try to replicate what the app does under the hood.

My Guesses
at 5:17 “we decoded Sysex” ( to get range of values bigger than 0-127)

So is he sending Sysex (which Midihub doesn’t do
and his UI simply displays this as (-128 ~ +127) for the 2 octaves he mentions elsewhere?

In Midihub can we do this by sending Fine Tune CC & Coarse Tune CC for each pitch?

btw

above you say

Low Tom (for example) chromatically you’d have to program your midi controller to send CC 29 to change the pitch …
…CC#46 LT TUNE…
…or alternatively the coarse control (one or the other)
…
CC#102 LT CTRL

Is CC 29 just a typo or do I misunderstand the table?

Fine/Coarse might be confirmed (well not contradicted!) at 7:10 when you see values from his lower C (-128) → his mid C (0) → D# (32)

Now if you note down his values they’re consistent; here’s some in the lower Octave …
Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 17.42.20
and in the upper…
Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 17.41.39
…you might already have spotted that if you add on 128 to a note (CC?) value you jump an octave.

With any luck these values refer to the Fine Tune.

So, If I had a TR-8s this is what I’d test:

• get the negative values and add 128 to each
    Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 18.51.33

• make a series of before Insert Before Transforms (F# → A is enough),
    where the Work with Note Number in Range Low|High is [F#,F#], [G,G] etc
    (corresponding to the octave coming from Squid)
    Set the CC number for this to the Fine Tune of the Instrument

• follow them with one Transform that triggers the Instrument

You should then get the same Instrument but at different pitches for the 4 notes.
Do you?

Leaving to you to have a first try cos

1. not near Midihub
  2. I don’t which Editor/Firmware you’re running

Thanks for the quick feedback resonotter.

Couple of questions since I am really not an expert with that editor I must confess… (I am using the latest firmware 1.13.4 by the way):

Should I check all the boxes on the Filter ?

Blockquote
make a series of before Insert Before Transforms
You meant duplicate pipeline with different parameters ?

Blockquote
“where the Work with Note Number in Range Low|High is [F#,F#], [G,G] etc
(corresponding to the octave coming from Squid)
Set the CC number for this to the Fine Tune of the Instrument”

Can you send me an .mhp file because that is where my understanding of the editor stops unfortunately :smiling_face_with_tear:

Blockquote

• follow them with one Transform that triggers the Instrument

Same unknoledge for the note remap :woozy_face:

Once again the trick apparentl to play a BassDrum (for example) chromatically is to “have to program your midi controller to send CC 96 to change the pitch and then send MIDI note 36 to trigger the BD. You’d have to basically do this for each pad and hope that the tr8s can handle hitting two pads at once or in quick succession while tuning is being changed.”

Thanks again and again for your help !
alex

in addition…

This is your key concept to be tested, but I’m unclear:

96 = BD CTRL
20 = BD TUNE

so is this Fine vs Coarse?
Or is CTRL some general control that you have to assign to a tuning parameter in the TR8S first?

So try this tester (untested myself) on 1.13.4
(None of the techniques you need require 1.14 so we won’t go there!)
AlexandreS_TR8S_tune_Expt0.mhp (1.1 KB)

PS. where does the quote in the quote come from?

1 Like