Pisound Docs

‘True bypass’ usually means direct connection of the input to the output, via some relay switch or something, bypassing audio processing circuitry altogether. Pisound does not provide this facility, to get ‘bypass’, you’d have to simply forward the unprocessed input to the output, or add said relays on your own circuit. ‘True bypass’ means that there’s no added latency to the audio when it’s in bypass mode, but I’m not sure if it’s a convenient feature for latency to change during performance, it may take a moment to readjust your playing.

Guitar can be connected to one of the input channels, leaving the other channel unused. Some effects may be applied to the input signal that add a ‘stereo’ effect, so you’d use both of the output channels for that.

The unused input channel may be used as an additional ‘aux’ input, to add outside audio into the processing, if desired.

Hey,

I have two usability issues. First: great things with MODEP and a solid sound card for RPi.

Thing is how do yous see changing and modifying the patches, configs, routing, saving, recalling?
Clearly setting up is via the web interface: not sure how is configured but at a gig you would expect to have a continuous connection to this, visible and modifiable. Preferably from the phone or similar. Is there any testing experience connecting in this scenario: it would involve a SSID and a stable known IP/DNS.

The other is via API. I understand there is an app for Android but not for iOS. What are its functionalities and what you can do, what you can’t? Maybe if you can estimate the date for release with iOS; usually there’s a lot of work so would be grateful if there can be anything on this.

A last thing is the screen. Even with a screen there’s the need of printing on the screen from the OS. Is there any experience with this integration? the two or four connectors that link to the screen wouldn’t be an issue but the screens available, what gets posted to the screen etc. In my view either seeing what’s happening from the phone or a small screen it’s critical.

Any help in looking at these issues appreciate.

Best there,
Cip

Hey,

Just enable and connect to the WiFi hotspot hosted on the Raspberry Pi. It is on by default, the SSID is MODEP, default password is ‘blokaslabs’, the default IP is 172.24.1.1, or http://modep.local (requires additional software on Windows for this mDNS address to work).

The iOS app is in progress. The app can be used for running and controlling Pure Data patches, also displays the console output of Pure Data on the phone. On MODEP, you can list the pedalboards and switch the currently active one.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Pisound Button Issue

Would it be possible to use two PiSound cards to have four discrete inputs?

No, Pisounds can’t be stacked.

I am planning on using the Pi 4b with Pisound in a custom pedalboard. However i’m concerned about the Pi thermal throttling. Are there any thermal cases / heatsinks compatible with the Pi sound?

Something like this maybe

Thanks

The Pisound’s input & output jacks are on the bottom side of the PCB, there’s clearance of about 8.5mm height from the jacks to the Raspberry Pi’s PCB using the default spacers 25mm included with Pisound. You may be able to mount it at a slightly longer distance, but risk loosing contact at the GPIO header.

Looking at the photo you provided, it might just fit. We’d recommend finding a suitable spacer for holding Pisound tight with the case underneath it.

Thanks that’s really useful, I may end up mounting them separately with a GPIO extension between them.

Let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

I ordered PiSound and a Raspberry Pi Zero which is on your list of compatible models
https://blokas.io/pisound/docs/

But I just went to the Patchbox OS page and that model is not listed

Is the Pi Zero compatible or not?

Thanks.

@tonyaroma technically Zero is compatible, but depending on your use case you may need a more powerful Raspberry Pi model. :wink:

That’s not an answer. I already spent my $149 US on this and now you are being coy.

Is the Raspberry Pi Zero compatible with Patchbox OS?
In what “cases” is it not?

Please give me a straight answer. Thank you.

Raspberry Pi Zero works with Pisound and Raspbian. We don’t test Patchbox OS on Raspberry Pi Zero, it might still work just fine. If it doesn’t, try switching to non-realtime kernel, by running this command: sudo apt install raspberrypi-kernel

Since it might not work with the advertised “ultra-low latency”, you should either test the Pi Zero or take it off the list. To include the Zero on the list of compatible models is misleading and unfair to customers.

1 Like

The Pi versions that Pisound runs on and is tested with and the list of supported Pi versions for Patchbox OS are separate things, that’s why each have their own list of supported Pi models.

1 Like

I bought Pisound because it says it “is an ultra-low latency high-quality sound card”, which is what I need. From what I can tell, that “ultra-low latency” is only available if you use Patchbox OS, is that correct?

No, that’s incorrect. You can get the same latency using any Linux OS you want.

A post was merged into an existing topic: piSound no longer connects to midi ports

Hi,

Just getting started with pisound and open it up when working and the first thing i want to try to do is control the patch that is playing via headless mode, how do i edit or control what starts up in headless mode, is there a .cfg or similar type file i can edit that controls that functions?

I have tried changing some settings with sudo patchbox-config command and realised i have at some point in the past set up the pisound with patchbox to run Orac 2.0 on starting. If i log into the pisound with my phone using the pisound app i can select to load from usb new patches and then the drums stop.

I want to be able to use orac and the pisound headless just struggling to get it working. Are there any docs i can read to help?