Pisound Acrylic Case - Pisound Docs

Dedicated topic for Pisound Acrylic Case - Pisound Docs page.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blokas.io/pisound/docs/Pisound-Acrylic-Case/

Hi there.
Is there access to the SD card once the case is assembled? It is hard to tell from the images and description …

Yes, there’s a cutout available, so the SD card is accessible.

That’s great! Thank you for the quick reply :slight_smile:

It looks like the Pi 4 benefits from cooling–at a minimum, passive cooling (see 2019 blog post by Jeff Geerling). For any such solution, the PiSound case obviously wouldn’t work because the cooling solution would take up some height. I’m wondering if you could provide some guidance on workarounds for people who want to use a cooling device? In particular, some questions would be, for any given cooling device, (1) what height GPIO header extension would be necessary, and (2) would it be possible to get extended posts to sit between the Pi and the Pisound? In an ideal world, you would make a case with some optional cooling. But barring that, it would be great if you could provide pointers on how to make off-the-shelf alternative solutions work.

Thanks for making a great product!

3 Likes

Hi,

Has anyone else problem with to get the micro HDMI connector to get enough contact with the case? I have with the acrylic case.

Hey, this was reported before, it looks like there’s a couple of micro HDMI adapters or cable connectors that don’t fit well. Can you let us know which brand and model you’re using? In the mean time, you could find another adapter that would fit better, or use a file to extend the holes size as needed.

Are the files for the acrylic case available? I’d like to do a version with space for a small OLED display that I have hooked up via the expansion GPIO pins on the Pisound.

1 Like

Hey, currently they’re not, we’re considering to publish the drawings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I most have an old design, because my case does not have the cut out. Of course, I bought mine when you were just a Indiegogo project. August of 2017 to be exact :wink:

Anyway, can I get a new bottom piece? Either that or I guess I’ll have to find my Dremel (if I can find it).

I’m asking because I finally corrupted the fs on my unit, and just noticed that the SDcard is not accessible.

Hey, please send us an e-mail, I think we could arrange shipping you just the bottom side.

I am researching the creation of a Hi-Rise Pisound Case to accommodate my adding a M.2 NVME SSD Storage Expansion Board. Creating an added extension for additional cooling doesn’t sound like too much of a stretch beyond.

The CanaKit RPi 4 Power Supply barely fits. The plug itself is long enough to make contact but the aperture doesn’t have enough clearance to allow the outer casing to pass through, so the USB-C plug is in constant danger of disconnecting. After spending an afternoon getting possibly the most fiddly assemblage I’ve encountered to come together, I’m pissed that I now have to take it apart to file the holes. Please add clearance to all the cable access ports in future versions.

Hi, seems to be somewhat related - my acrylic case is great except for one thing - the MIDI ports are not lining up correctly with the case, so MIDI cables don’t plug in properly and fall out when the device is touched or moved. I’ll file it down, just gotta find the right tool for the job. I’ve tried every possible variation of orientation of pieces, it doesn’t line up. I think it’s the lips of the audio IO jacks (behind the cover), they push the case out too far on one side, making it asymmetrical (and as a result, misaligned).
If there is more than even a slight cuff on the MIDI connector, it doesn’t fit.

1 Like

my HDMI plug doesn’t plug well since the case is too thick! Should I shape it with a file??

I had to both file out the power plug hole a carve out the whole section around the monitor inputs. Really, this case needs to be modified to make it useable. eventually, I guess.

I’d like to know whether this heatsink you mentioned XL Raspberry Pi 4 Heatsink– The Pi Hut would fit; seems like it might.

Any news on sharing files for 3D printing custom cases?

We were thinking it would be fun to make a DIY case for Orcasound hydrophones (RPi4+Pisound HAT) that seals up ports that aren’t needed for our end-use (to reduce salt-water ingress).