Pi won't boot with PiSound attached

I just had Pisound working fine, went to move to another room, unplugged it, moved to another room, plugged it in and solid red light, no flashing, won’t boot. Brought it back to monitor setup and didn’t get a boot screen either. Currently reflashing a spare SD card to see if that brings it back. Both the Pi 3 +B and Pisound arrived today, both brand new. Very frustrating that I just unplugged it and it won’t boot. Sure, I didn’t follow a proper shutdown, but I do that all the time in Linux and it always boots. Could have very well just been a local power outage.

Hi, does the Raspberry Pi boot without Pisound attached?

I was too lazy to take the Pisound case off and do all that. I got it booting again with a 2GB spare card that I flashed Raspbian Lite on. This told me it wasn’t fried which was such a relief, because I fried my first Pi a few days ago tinkering some of the GPIO pins trying to trigger a HALT. So then I did a proper shutdown now, waited for things to stop flashing and unplugged the usb. Then put the MODEP SD image back in and it booted fine with the display. Then I did a shutdown now on MODEP and went to my other room and it booted up fine.

I have no idea what happened but I’m afraid to unplug it now. I did try unplugging/plugging in about 5+ times the first time when MODEP wouldn’t boot with Pisound attached and waited about 5-10 times in between.

tldr; All is well now, but I had to boot with Raspbian Lite once to get MODEP working again.

Also, I am following this now. https://blokas.io/modep/docs/MODEP-and-Pisound/ and holding between 5 and 7 seconds to turn off MODEP properly. It is challenging to know how long to do it though and I think I’ll have to observe it a bit more with blink codes.

I also think I need to get a battery power supply for this so that and accidental unplug or power outage doesn’t put me in a non-bootable state. I plan on doing an open mic soon with it and might have to just unplug it without waiting so a battery backup will help prevent that.

Sounds like the SD card got corrupted that time. What has helped me get out of that state before (but not all the time) was simply inserting the SD card to a Windows PC, so it mounts it, and probably fixes something in the file system, then unmounting it again and putting it back to Raspberry Pi. I suspect Raspberry Pi itself does not do file system repair at boot time.

You may remap the ‘shutdown’ action of the button via sudo pisound-config. The blinks should happen at the rate of once per second, so it helps knowing how long it was held down to trigger the intended action, but you may as well remap it so that a double click of the button would shut down the system. See https://blokas.io/pisound/docs/the-button/ for more info.

1 Like

That almost seems like the explanation, except for that doesn’t explain why I didn’t actually do anything to the MODEP 32 GB SD card other than take it out and put it back in to the Pi. If it happens again, I’ll try just taking it in and out and not trying the Raspbian Lite boot test with the 2GB card.

This happend again last night in my hotel room when I was unplugging my headphones and somehow the USB power came unplugged. Wouldn’t boot again, with Raspbian Lite or MODEP. I tried unplugging for 10 seconds or so and no go. I eventually just let it sit unplugged and jammed some acoustic and tried again and it booted with the flashing yellow lights.

Did you plug the sd card to something else while the Pi was not booting? Or they just started working again after some time?

I had unplugged the SD card in random variations of turning it off and on, but I never put the SD card into another device (e.g. laptop). It just booted after waiting a while with it unplugged. Some capacitor seems to be hanging on for quite a while maybe?

Hmm, we haven’t encountered issues like this before, where it would take so long for RPi to come back to life. :slight_smile:

After this occurs, try investigating the kernel logs from previous boots, see here:

If you spot anything interesting, let us know!

Hi people,

I can confirm this issue. It happens sometimes when I turn the raspi off (PI 3b+) and after 2 seconds I turn it on again.
But if you wait 1 minute or 2, the system boots up.

The is no SD card error, nor Rpi error. It happens only when Pisound is attached.

Hi, which end of the cable are you unplugging? If it’s on the power outlet side, it could be that the filter caps in the power supply unit don’t have enough time to discharge to fully turn the system off. If disconnecting on the micro USB side, it should be quicker.

Only plug the power supply back in once the red LED on Raspberry Pi goes dark to start the system again.

I usually unplug the board side, the micro USB port directly from the Pi. I’ll try the wall side to see if anything changes. I’m using an official Pi power supply too, fwiw.

Also, I tested with a stopwatch, and a 1 minute wait does not boot up but 2 minutes does.

I’ll check the logs.

1 Like

Posted question here too https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/101748/pi-3-w-pisound-wont-turn-on-unless-wait-a-few-minutes

You should have a monitor connected, and see whether it is displaying anything and how far in the boot process it gets. For this, you should also remove the quiet argument from /boot/cmdline.txt, so that all the boot messages get printed.

Every few boots, the OS does fsck of the SD card, depending on the size of it, it may take a while, and that could cause some boots to take longer than others.

1 Like

Ohhh, I think you are onto something with the not-every-boot-fsck!

Finally giving the Pisound a try again (just started a 3 week staycation!). My /boot/cmdline.txt doesn’t have a quiet argument, and I just tried hooking it to a display with HDMI when it is in the “red LED only” boot state and there was no display output.

console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=3ac474d7-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

One thing I noticed last night while running audio through the mic was that it just froze on some audio and the last bit of audio just looped and the whole thing was frozen, no SSH or modep.local access anymore.

I was thinking this may be a power issue, and am using the official Pi power supply so I ordered a TrippLite UPS and got this installed after the previous mentioned crash last night. This morning the system was frozen again.

I’ll tinker with Dmesg output from previous boot next.

I am using journalctl -o short-precise -k -b -1 for the previous boot per the DMESG post above and the boot is from yesterday so it appears that when it is in the “red light” state it does in fact never try to boot, at least far enough to log anything.

And to fundamentally restate what is happening. If I unplug and replug, (simulating a freeze/crash with a improper shutdown), within 2 minutes, it just does nothing and has solid red LED on. If I wait 3 minutes it usually boots and has the green LED blinking with the solid red LED on. It is like there is some sort of capacitor energy left over somehow.

UPDATE:

This was wrong. This was on my host Arch system. There is no persistent storage for DMESG to save boot logs it appears:

patch@patchbox:~ $ journalctl -o short-precise -k -b -1
Specifying boot ID or boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal was found.
patch@patchbox:~ $ journalctl --list-boot
 0 c261c521f71c4dce8c478d4db9589073 Thu 2020-12-17 17:17:01 GMT—Thu 2020-12-17 18:34:03 GMT

UPDATE2: From reading more Pi LED indicator states here What do system LEDs signify? - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange, solid RED is good, means power is correct, and the flashing GREEN at boot indicates SD card activity, which never happens in this 3 minute window. I don’t think it is FSCK because if I simply wait for 3 minutes it boots right up with GREEN activity. There seems to be something in that 3 minutes that happens.

UPDATE3: Finally figured out how to enable persistent journalctl storage. I’ll try to crash it now with the MIDI passthrough to the synth.

sudo vim /etc/systemd/journald.conf (change line: Storage=auto TO Storage=persistent)
mkdir -p /var/log/journal
sudo systemd-tmpfiles --create --prefix /var/log/journal

UPDATE4: K, confirmed that when it is in this RED only state with no SD card activity with GREEN that there is in fact no boot logs per journalctl --output short-precise --dmesg --boot -1 as that shows the previous successful boot logs, not the failed boot with RED state. The 3 minute wait seems to be working 100% of the time now. And after the 3 minutes it boots within 30 seconds every time (SSH works then).

UPDATE5: When I do a proper sudo reboot, I am always getting “Dirty bit is set”:

patch@patchbox:~ $ sudo fsck.vfat -a /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
 Automatically removing dirty bit.
Performing changes.
/dev/mmcblk0p1: 232 files, 80116/516190 clusters

Others are seeing same issue here > Dirty bit is always found set at system boot · Issue #688 · cyoung/stratux · GitHub

UPDATE6: Shortly after I tested the above fsck, the Pi crashed again with SOLID RED and GREEN. I am now putting the card through some tests and full formatting on my host Arch system.|

UPDATE7: Running a sudo f3probe /dev/sda on this on Arch now per this recommendation > bad blocks - How can I test the full capacity of an SD card in Linux? - Super User.

UPDATE8: Looks good with f3probe, gonna fully reformat and flash with balenaEtcher again.

❯ sudo f3probe /dev/sda
F3 probe 8.0
Copyright (C) 2010 Digirati Internet LTDA.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.

WARNING: Probing normally takes from a few seconds to 15 minutes, but
         it can take longer. Please be patient.

Probe finished, recovering blocks... Done

Good news: The device '/dev/sda' is the real thing

Device geometry:
                 *Usable* size: 29.81 GB (62521344 blocks)
                Announced size: 29.81 GB (62521344 blocks)
                        Module: 32.00 GB (2^35 Bytes)
        Approximate cache size: 0.00 Byte (0 blocks), need-reset=no
           Physical block size: 512.00 Byte (2^9 Bytes)

Probe time: 1'38"

UPDATE9: Did a full fat32 reformat (erase data, took 20 minutes) with Disk Utility and then flashed again with balenaEtcher. no crash so far after an hour or so. Still has the dirty bit issue with a normal reboot, fwiw. I also did a memtester 500 1 to test 500MB of ram, which passed. There is a total of 1024MB/1GB so I cannot test all of it.

UPDATE10: K, I revisited the comments here and tested this, and confirmed that it only happens with the Pisound attached. If I take the Pisound off and turn it off by pulling the power plug, it boots up right away with GREEN SD activity instantly after plugging it back in, just the Pi 3 by itself.

UPDATE11: Okay, so I reattached the pisound, but left the case off, and was able to get it booting almost every single time with a manual unplug with the exception of 2 times, which I then unplugged the ethernet cable and got it going instantly again. So it does seem like maybe something to do with the case or pressure somewhere, maybe the way I was holding it. I have tried at least 10 times now and it seems like it is working. I could see it maybe being temperature, but also could see it being some type of pressure. I am going to leave the case off for a while and see if I can just use it for a few days without it crashing.

UPDATE12: Okay, seems to be overheating that causes it. Done a bunch more tests, and this seems likely for the crashes too. I was able to get it to not boot right away after a bit of keeping it on and then put a bag of peas underneath the plastic bottom of the case and it was able to boot within 5-10 seconds of it being unplugged instead of the usual 3 minutes. I have been monitoring temp here cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp and went from ~46000 (46 Celsius/115 Fahrenheit, divide by 1000) to currently 55 C/131 F in just 10 minutes or so with the Pisound on and the case is still off.

I also found this thread of overheating Pisound (Raspberry Pi Audio/MIDI interface) is here! - #78 by cata - Equipment - lines where another user has reported, but said they never posted here, and just don’t use it because of that:

No solutions here - but just wanted to say I’ve also experienced similar seemingly heat related issues with my Pisound :confused: Very often has trouble booting after being on for ~15 minutes prior, waiting another 5 minutes seems to fix it.

Multiple Pisound owners/users have reported in the thread above. This all makes sense now.

UPDATE13: I am going to see if I can find my Pi heatsink and/or put the case back on and keep an icepack underneath it to see if I can get some stability this way. I suspect either the Pisound or the Pi itself has a hardware issue since otherwise this would be widely reported, but it was hard to figure out for myself, so maybe not.

UPDATE14: Hope, it appears that it maybe the SD card itself being temperature dependent! Temp Sensitive Boot Problem - Raspberry Pi Forums (
Temp Sensitive Boot Problem)

The the Pi is first turned on it boots correctly and it can be powered down within the first 30 seconds or so and it will behave normally, booting up reliably.
Once it has been running for longer than 30 seconds and it is disconnected and then reconnected. the red power LED comes on and nothing else happens. If unplug it and plug it back in the same thing happens. The only way to make it boot again is to physically disconnect it for around 10 seconds and connected it back again at which point it boots as expected.

i found an old San disk 2gig card and it seems to work perfectly! this is mad, it seems the SD cards are temperature dependant

I think too the SD card temperature is the problem. I stated before that I had a kingston card that rebooted everytime.

UPDATE15: I definitely think it is the card now. Now I need to know what make and model card to get that people have success with! The make/model I have that has problems is Samsung EVO Plus 32GB.

The maximum operating temperature of the Raspberry Pi is 85°C so 40-50°C is probably OK.

source: pi 3 - How Hot Is Too Hot? - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Interesting debugging! Thank you for giving so much effort to go through this.

This reminds me of a very similar issue reported for v1.0 Pisound boards, but it happens exclusively with Pi 4 versions: PiSound with Raspberry Pi 4, because its power supply design got changed. The Pi 3 and earlier models didn’t have this issue.

To verify that it’s indeed SD card overheating, you may try to keep Pisound off, and heat the sd card area using some hair dryer or heat gun (don’t get it too hot though!), and see if you can reproduce the boot issue just by heating the SD card area.