"Overflow" message

Hi
I am using the midi hub for awhile,
‏it is very nice.
‏solved alot of problems
‏the product is very necessary in live performance.

Some time it’s crash - all the midi note play whit a delay
I didn’t know why…
It is happened when I sending a
midi Aftertoch & midi controller & pitch bend
at the same time
so
I contacted to the midi hub editor and
I get the this message “Overflow”

Is there anything that can do to solve it?

Hi, you should make sure you’re not getting MIDI data loopbacked into Midihub itself, otherwise it can produce tremendous amount of messages and slow the whole system down.

Another possibility is inadvertently duplicating messages within a preset, without having the right filters in place.

The “Overflow” message in the MIDI monitor pane indicates, that the MIDI monitoring can’t keep up with providing the editor with all the MIDI data flowing, the physical MIDI transfer between MIDI and USB ports has the highest priority, so in some instances, even if you see “Overflow” in the MIDI monitor pane, it might not necessarily mean that some MIDI messages are getting lost.

By the way, the messages you mentioned are all rather chatty - they produce lots of MIDI messages even within a short period, you may be hitting the inherent MIDI bandwidth limitation of 3125 bytes per second. Most MIDI messages are made up of 3 bytes, so transferring, say, a single CC message takes 0.96ms, if there’s a mix of lots of messages at the same time, they all get queued, and sent, the delay can quickly add up to >= 5ms which becomes easily noticeable to the performer.

You could post up your preset for us and the community to take a look if there’s anything to fix, let us know which inputs receive which kinds of MIDI data, and whether there’s something we should know about the further MIDI connections between your MIDI instruments, like if there’s some daisy chain on Midihub output that ends up connected to Midihub’s input again.

2 Likes

By the way, the messages you mentioned are all rather chatty - they produce lots of MIDI messages even within a short period, you may be hitting the inherent MIDI bandwidth limitation of 3125 bytes per second. Most MIDI messages are made up of 3 bytes, so transferring, say, a single CC message takes 0.96ms, if there’s a mix of lots of messages at the same time, they all get queued, and sent, the delay can quickly add up to >= 5ms which becomes easily noticeable to the performer.

Hey, @Giedrius, these are two really useful bits of knowledge!
If they’re not already somewhere (that I’ve overlooked), it would be good to them pinned.

PS. On “chatty” messages, would a Discarder pipe be theoretically viable?
It would throw away m/n of selected message type (PB, CP, etc), a bit like Tempo Div but with maybe time-related thresholds.

Strikes me it might be popular for performance patchers…

2 Likes

Ok
My instruments are

1. I am using the korg pa1000 as a main keyboard
  2. Roland MC 101 for a drums bass percussion and a guitar
    3.korg wavestate as a secondary keyboard
  3. Ak5 midi quarter tune remote for a scale
    (Arabic style) by https://kelfar.net/

It is work like that :

I send all midi data from korg pa to the midi hub input A
In the midi hub i filter the midi SYS Exclusive message
(the ROLAND MC response badly to midi exclusive message and should be blocked)
And send it to Roland MC 101 OUT A
I am Using 4 midi channels

In out B to Korg wavestate
I send midi clock & midi control
(for using the pitch joystick & expression pedal form korg pa to Korg wavestate)

In input B
There’s ak5 midi scale as a midi through to out B to Korg wavestate
The ak5 sand a midi Aftertoch message for change the scale

When I using quarter tune and playing and change the expression there is a daily in the midi hub

It’s too complicated… I know :sweat_smile:

Where are the AK5 cables connected to?

The first bit is hinted very succinctly at “Overflow” description in the docs: MIDI Monitor - Midihub Documentation, as in it’s talking about only the monitor data. :slight_smile:

For the other thing, it might be a good idea to have some article on how MIDI works here in the community, but there’s ought to be lots of articles already written on this subject on the internet, so I’m not sure if we should have our own variation.

It could help for some devices that have difficulty to cope with the amount of data they receive, but it would not solve a MIDI controller sending too much data to the Midihub’s inputs taking a long time to arrive.

I’ve seen some MIDI controllers with knobs sending CCs in step size of 1 for whatever quick twist of the knob you make, which is not really ideal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

to input 2

in 1 korg pa
in 2 ak5
out 1 roland mc 101
out 2 Korg Wavestate

Where does it get its own MIDI input from? Or just the buttons on the unit?

just the buttons on the unit

it is a remote control micro tune for change the scale - each button change the key tune

Hi @ahgi

I see in your photo, you have 3 cables going into Kelfar:

• 1 is power/USB
  • 1 is MIDI out
  • What is the 3rd one for?

to midi in of the korg pa1000
there is no loop from korg pa1000

So 1 MIDI output from AK5 goes directly to Midihub Input B, and 2nd MIDI output from AK5 goes to PA1000.

If PA1000 is merging & forwarding the incoming MIDI data to its own output, which is connected to Midihub Input A, this could cause problems.

the korg pa1000 doesn’t merge any data
I disconnected MIDI IN in from korg pa1000 and it is the same reaction

Does this issue occur only for a little while after you trigger the aftertouch and pitch bend messages, or it keeps being delayed afterwards, no matter what?

it is happened when i use the expression pedal and pitch band joystick while the AK 5 send after touch midi cc message

@ahgi

I know you want to use MIDI DIN to connect to your Wavestate but…

… I wonder if it’s worth trying to connect Midihub → {USB} → PC/Mac → {USB} → Wavestate

(…using MidiPatchbay(Mac) or MIDI-OX (PC))

just to investigate?

This would also let you record a few seconds of …

the expression pedal and pitch band joystick while the AK 5 is sending after touch midi cc message

…into a DAW to be able to see just what the PA1000 and the AK5 are sending out to Wavestate.

Won’t solve your problem (yet) but might help to see what your problem is:
you can upload the .mid file here

2 Likes

I will try with usb cable and let you know :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like