Orac 2.0 for the Raspberry PI

Yes its beta 2. Demo patch (drum loop) was running at the boot as mentionned. And after a few days, i ve dowloaded the main patch on the pi To control orac (localhost use). I dont know what dit i do wrong, but now at the boot in consol mode, there is no sound at all and after startx commande, the sound arrive. There is an error message by the way (I didnt note, sorry but i can tell you tomorrow)

1 Like

yeah, we need some more details - like is orac actually running when you are in console mode? (look for PD)

i wonder if starting x somehow reconfigures the soundcard?
as i cannot think why Orac should suddenly start working when you start x…
doesn’t sound like a PD/orac thing - more an issue with the soundcard config.

1 Like

hello @thetechnobear do you plan a beta3 release before the final? I mainly stopped configuring MIDI bindings since the change that included the MIDI channel as you said it will change again…

Should I continue with beta2 and configure the bindings with midi learn?

there will be an easy way to batch fix them for the 127 vs 128 fix?

Thanks

coincidentally, Im just sitting here thinking about releasing…

I’m ready to release, and I don’t have any outstanding bugs, so I think Im going to release this as a ‘final release’ rather than another beta.
(of course, if anything does crop up I can always release a 2.0.1 or something)

… so I think what I’m going to do now - is start building the release, test it on the various platforms, and do a sanity check.
that should mean, I’ll either release later today or tomorrow.
(then blokas have to release to their app server for Patchbox, but they have been really quick on this)

there will be an easy way to batch fix them for the 127 vs 128 fix?

orac wont do this, but you could edit the preset files directly, I guess this would be quicker that really learning them - depending upon how many you have done.

so yeah, Id hold off doing more midi mapping until this next release is out, it wont be long :slight_smile:

excellent @thetechnobear thank you so much! I don’t have many presets, so I can easily start afresh with new ones.

It will include also the selection of active module via MIDI bank select?

Cheers

ok, all built - just got to get it staged at the blokas apt server
this is release version of 2.0 ( so out of beta - yeh!)

yes, it includes CC 0 for active module select,
also CCs for next (100) /preset (101) /save preset(102)
basically all the things we discussed above…

sorry took a little while longer, as I was at superbooth last week

2 Likes

Congratulations for this release! I can’t wait to try it.

Great! This is fantastic news!

Thanks again for this wonder

thanks to @Giedrius , Orac 2.0 release is now available.

to update:

1. Run patchbox
  2. Select update
  3. Go to module
  4. Select orac

so simple with Patchbox OS :slight_smile:

6 Likes

thanks so much for all of the work you put into this, thetechnobear! it’s an amazing tool.

1 Like

Ok. I decided To flash os and take another fresh start… now it seems to work normaly, i was wondering for the update? There is something i dont understand (actualy lots, but step by steps!) How To change drum sound and add more? I would like To drive orac with the arturia beat step pro, wich as 3 midi canal too, and my plan is to have a drum on canal 10, sounding like drumbrute impact, and bass on 1 canal, synth on 2. Thank you for your time!

1 Like

samples are stored in ~/media/samples
where you will find kit directories, and each has wav files number 1… 64(?) , so just put your samples in there. you can either replace the existing ones, or create a new kit e.g. kit-4

midi channels are assigned in the router for each each, e.g turn to the page “Chain 1 Midi”
how samples are played back e.g. which note numbers is defined by the relevant sampler module.

ok thank you; i was thinking of adding patches in edrum synth sounds :grinning:

But i dont know ? Can we just put a kick or snare patch in à directory and its all good? You made something crazy by the way, thank you again for your work!!

sorry, im confused… what are you trying to do?
there are sample players, so you could add drum samples - as I described above.

the edrum module, is a small/simple drum synth, if you know how to create pure data patches, you could edit this and add different drum synthesis if you wanted, or tweak its parameters.

Thanks @thetechnobear for the update.

I still can’t connect via hostname “patchbox.”
I need to work out how to use the hostname as my IP changes frequently and running headless with Lemur I can’t keep up. I’d also like to be able to use this where I don’t have access to WiFi.
Any thoughts on problem-solving this?
Wondering if anyone other than Mark can connect via hostname and whether there is some setup difference I haven’t taken into account.
cheers
Lloyd

1 Like

“patchbox.” doesn’t work for me in the pd clients either, and I suspect it is my router.

My solutions have been 1) create a static IP rule on my router when the raspi connects to it (easiest if you have access to this on your wifi router), or 2)create a static IP rule on the raspi (many resources for this on the internets) or 3)use the wifi hotspot included in patchbox os and then use the ethernet connection when I need to access updates (depending on your needs this is very useful because it allows you to get away from the house wifi and take orac with you to the park!) - the default ip for the hotspot is 172.24.1.1

1 Like
  1. sounds like the way to go - thanks for the info - i’ll give it a try.

I found on the net some good patches that just make drum sound, before knowing patchbox and orac i was fighting with jack and pure data To make them midi… this is not neccessery anymore, so now i Will take à look at edrum To see how its made and try To insert this patches ive used To play

1 Like

The wifi hotspot as never worked for me. I tryed first with a rasp 0… Nothing. Then with the p3 nothing too… for now, i use my internet box, but when i Will go out with patchbox, i think i Will get my laptop as a hotspot

Thanks languidlost. 3 worked for me.