Octatrack + Soleman midi foot controller

It is possible to connect two external footswitches, can be used for the Soleman Scene/List/Panel UP and Down navigation respectively.

Thus:
An macro per each panel could be transmitted initially to select ‘next’ pattern in the OT whenever an new panel is loaded (when using the external footswitches Up/Down).

Which gives the Solemans four switches available (still with On/Off macro settings):

1: Play/Stop
2: Scene A/Scene B (one switch instead of two)
3: ?
4: ?

The expression input (with an expression pedal) can be used to crossfade between Scene A <> Scene B.

Then the Midihub can be free to expand the possibilities of both the OT and the Soleman…

I aim to make Albadort even happier… :wink:

2 Likes

:smile: I’ll leave the macros to you Octatracking Solemen!

For now here is my working setup :

1: Pattern up
2 : Play/stop
3 : Scene A up
4 : Scene B up
Exp pedal (CC.48) crossfading between Scenes A & B
A macro would be welcome to jump between scenes 1 ==> 16 with a single switch. Then The free one could be used as a tap tempo for instance. I have to dig into the macro :slight_smile:

If you add one external footswitch (i e Boss FS-5U), you can use that into the external footswitch jack of the Soleman.
Set it into Mode Select in the Soleman editor (it will cycle thru Scene/List/Panel endlessly).

Another option is probably possible using one of either SW3/SW4 together with the MidiHub, if you don’t want to add an external footswitch. See last paragraph in this post.

In the picture I’ve set SW1 [ >/# ] to toggle (latching) with two NoteNumbers#

ON: 35 (PLAY = value 127)
OFF: 33 (STOP = value 127)

If using 35 in both ON/OFF, thus toggling value 127/0 you’ll get PLAY/CONTINUE.

SW2 [ A/B ] is also set to toggle but between two macros instead. Looking in the macro window (M 125) you’ll see that I’ve set up both Scene A (CC#55) and B (CC#56).
My Octatrack Auto Channel is Midi Channel 11, the values are set to 0 (Scene A) in this macro. The other macro (M 126 = Scene B) have the same setup but the values set to 127.
You should be able to figure out how you want your setup.
Caveat: it might be that CC48 override scene selections if it (i e an expression pedal or crossfader) is left at ‘the opposite scene’?

In theory you should be able to toggle between Scenes and Panels in the Soleman by using CC#102 and toggling between value 0 and 2 (not using 1 = List).
I tried to loopback the output from an SW via the MidiHub but my Soleman doesn’t respond to it(self). I’m not good at working in the Midihub Editor though since I find alot, if not pretty much all, very confusing. I can see the output in the Midi Monitor but still no reaction in the Soleman…

Forgot to mention why switching between Scenes and Panels…

SCENE = Soleman is your OT pattern selector (PC#)
SW1 (Previous = OT pattern -1)
SW2 (Next = OT pattern +1)
SW3 (Search = allows you scroll PC# in Soleman, press search again to activate any PC# in Soleman and thus transmitting it to OT)

PANEL = Soleman is your OT Ctrl as in previous post.
SW1 (>/# = Play/Stop)
SW2 (A/B = Scene selector)
SW3 (?)
SW4 (?)

If you can get the Midihub to utilize the Soleman input control via CC#102 with either value 0 (SCENE) or 2 (PANEL). And control that MidiHub function from SW3 or SW4 in Soleman you won’t need an external footswitch (and will also opt out the LIST option in Mode Select that you are forced to scroll thru if you would use an external footswitch).

CC#102 value 0 = SCENE
CC#102 value 1 = SET LIST
CC#102 value 2 = PANEL

An external footswitch set to Mode Select thus basically cycle thru these three options. To opt out on SET LIST you need to go via Soleman Midi Input and transmit and toggle CC#102 with either value 0 or 2.

Then again when thinking about it a bit more…

SET LIST might actually be of interest anyway since it lets you arrange Soleman PC# in any order you want.
The corresponding OT patterns will load upon receiving that PC#. And all you need to do is using the Soleman switches Previous, Next to go back and/or forth in that SET LIST arrangement. Any of the corresponding OT pattern will load upon the PC# transmitted from Soleman SET LIST, no matter which Bank they are in.

Kind of a bit similar of how you arrange in the OT arranger, each row (pattern) would be similar to each PC# instance in the SET LIST. Any order you want and anyone can be recalled and used again.

And in theory you would be able to use the OT arranger and Soleman in combination. Since Soleman are able to transmit SPP (Song Position Pointer) with the macro, thus recall a specific row in a OT arrangement (although you are forced to load a OT arrangement manually each time, since that isn’t anything you are able to recall via MIDI as far as I know).
Though that rabbit hole is probably closer to a black hole in reality…