Noise LFO behaviour

Hi

Wanted to created to create sequences using the noise waveform assuming it worked in a sample and hold mode using the rate set in the LFO object. But it just seems to be a noise source fixed at the resolution rate - which isn’t that useful (well for me anyway).

Unless of course i’m doing something wrong…

Otherwise i guess it’s a feature request to have a new waveform type: sample and hold.

best,
Laurent

1 Like

@littlepeoplemusic
Hey Laurent,
Feels more like an oversight, as it doesn’t seem that useful to me either!

FWIW, there is a work-around:

• forget the whole resolution/freq aspect and set the Noise LFO to PassiveMod with the desired depth for variation, then
  • send in a value at the required rate and Transform it (if nec) to the CC# you want
  • (as an example, I just set a single note arp from a KeyStep and did Transform:NoteOn[NoteNumber]->CC. This had added advantage of being able to change the ‘centre’ of S&H variation just by hitting a different key. A Repeater would be another way)

There’s probably other ways but if you’re interested:S&Hworkaround.mhp (332 Bytes)

Thanks for bringing this up, it’s led me to a nice new generative idea!

3 Likes

Hey @resonotter

Thanks so much for this… works a treat!

2 Likes

For a simple S+H workaround you could also use this combo:
Square LFO (depth shouldn’t be too high) + Rescale (for offset) + Random

4 Likes

@Brachland welcome to blokas!

I like yours for its lack of need for any external input. A PWM would add a bit more variation :asterisk:.

When I get time, I’m going to muck around with the one I posted up for @littlepeoplemusic cos I want to explore the niches of a single control to change amplitude (of random variation around a ‘centre’) as well as playing around with the variability of the arp/seq input.

:asterisk: I might give this a go with some cyclic modulation of the Duty Cycle (an FM LFO say!). Midihub opens up so many tempting rabbit holes!

Cheers!

1 Like

PWM All the way!
I played around with 3 LFOs in a row, all set to PWM, lowest resolution, various low depths, various tempos, active modding each other and synced to BPM. The output goes into cv.ocd to feed my modular with control voltages. Blown away! cv.ocd can receive 4 such pipelines. Now mapping my midi controller so I can control a bunch of Midihub settings and the other waveforms. I’ll be modulating into oblivion.

Midihub is extremely powerful! Best purchase in years!

2 Likes

@sdk75 Welcome to Midihub!
If this fits with your sound, try phase-modulating one LFO with another ; if you control the rate &depth of the ‘modulator’ so that it shifts the phase of the ‘carrier’ LFO by small, varying amounts, it adds a nice bit of “a little different every time” to the output…

1 Like

@resonotter Oh yes totally, mod on PWM duty cycle too, huge fun! I feed an oscillator pitch on a modular with it, no need for notes :wink:

@sdk75 :+1:
one of the things I adore about Midihub is how you can easily set up quite complex situations but then control it all with a few knobs/sliders so ‘performing’ quickly becomes intuitive.
One of my favourites is to have the aforementioned P-M LFOs wandering about on long cycles with the output “letterboxed” by a couple of sliders so I can clamp the variation as much/little as I want.

Gotta love that little grey box!