MODEP on desktop?

Hi there!
The question is about using MODEP somehow on regular desktop Linux. Is that possible? I’m trying to compile and install, but gdebi complains about missing blokas-jack package.

1 Like

Theoretically it’s possible, practically it’d take some honest effort. Another attempt was here: Building MODEP debs for x86

The source code for building MODEP debs is here:

You may be interested in Live MOD, though it’s deprecated and hasn’t been updated in a while.

4 Likes

It’s just about the web ui. I don’t have issues with using all these plugins in carla, but MODEP UI is much more guitarist friendly… And I don’t want to use external devices or live cd outside my favorite DE I used to use…

Yes, this is where I started from. Both modep-common and modep where built successefully, just unable to install because of blokas-jack dependency. For sure I’d like to use regular jack I have already installed and configured.

1 Like

Look in https://github.com/BlokasLabs/patchbox-os-debs, you’ll find the blokas-jack package there. But I can’t walk you through the entire process of how to build and modify it for your needs. :slight_smile:

Thank you.
Installed most of things.
But modep-mod-ui throws error.

$ ./build-deb.sh 
cp: cannot stat 'src/*': No such file or directory
 dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -b
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package modep-mod-ui
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 1.8.1-1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution buster
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Giedrius Trainavičius <giedrius@blokas.io>
 dpkg-source --before-build .
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture amd64
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh clean --with python3 --buildsystem=pybuild
   dh_auto_clean -O--buildsystem=pybuild
E: pybuild pybuild:110: cannot detect build system, please use --system option or set PYBUILD_SYSTEM env. variable
dh_auto_clean: error: pybuild --clean -i python{version} -p 3.8 returned exit code 11
make: *** [debian/rules:9: clean] Error 25
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean subprocess returned exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -b failed

Added to rules ‘export PYBUILD_SYSTEM=distutils’ as suggested somwhere in internet, but with no luck. Tried 2 other pybuild systems also with no luck. I’m not a python programmer myself, can you, please, point me to some solution?

You may have to install dh-python apt package. Btw, looks like you haven’t initialized the git submodules. Run these commands while inside the repository:

git submodule init
git submodule update

(--recursive argument can be added to initial git clone to do this automatically during initial cloning.)

1 Like

Trying to compile modep on Raspberry Pi 4 with Raspberry Pi OS arm64 and getting this:

(...)

#define STDC_HEADERS 1
#define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
#define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
#define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
#define HAVE_STRING_H 1
#define HAVE_TIME_H 1
#define HAVE_MATH_H 1
#define HAVE_JACK_JACK_H 1

configure: exit 1
dh_auto_configure: error: ./configure --build=aarch64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --includedir=\${prefix}/include --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\${prefix}/share/info --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-option-checking --disable-silent-rules --libdir=\${prefix}/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu --libexecdir=\${prefix}/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu --runstatedir=/run --disable-maintainer-mode --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-static --enable-shared --with-lv2 --without-lash --with-lv2-dir=/usr/modep/lv2/ --prefix=/usr --without-gui returned exit code 1
make[1]: *** [debian/rules:14: override_dh_auto_configure] Error 25
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/modep-debs/modep-lv2-calf/modep-lv2-calf-0.90.3'
make: *** [debian/rules:11: build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -b failed

The actual error is probably somewhere higher in the output.

I’m assuming that by “desktop linux”, you’re referring to any linux running on a non-ARM chip? Or are you referring to running it on a non-PatchboxOS RPi? I’m curious about the later, but I’ll start a new thread if that’s not the direction you’re going.

Whats the advantage of using modep instead of MOD from github?

There is a live usb to run mod on pc https://github.com/moddevices/mod-live-usb

1 Like