MidiHub scalability

My ‘go to’ MIDI patch bay/controller is an old Opcode Studio 5LX which provides a highly configurable 15 x 15 matrix of MIDI ports with 128 preset patch configurations that are available without a computer once setup. The downside is that I have to keep 1 or more ( I have several as insurance!) old G4 Macs to run the Opcode OMS software to update configurations. There’s never been anything like it until (potentially) MIdiHub.

Can anybody give an informed answer as to the scalability (now or planned) of the units? - i.e if you had 4 of them attached to a USB hub, are they able to operate as 1 16x16 device, with the controlling software or driver able to create the same type of matrix programmability as I have with my Studio 5LX. Would the software/driver be able to route or process events/effects to/from MIDI ports on other MIdiHubs or is it done via the host OS/DAW?

You may attach multiple Midihubs to a host, each of them can be interacted with as a standalone device. The Editor can connect to one of them at a time, you may have multiple instances of the Editor running, each device can be identified based on the unique serial number.

I know that @manymanyhaha and @Hans303 use multiple Midihubs, I’d like to invite them to share their experience with that.

1 Like

Four Midihubs are connected to USB hubs attached to my PC. Fortunately, my setup is pretty static, so once routings are made, they can stay. The editor routes the ins and outs to one of four virtual USB ports (they’re not labeled “virtual,” but they all share the single cable) for each Midihub, one at a time. In my DAW, Studio One, devices are assigned to whichever port matches what I assigned in the editor, and once that’s done they can just be called up in a track and they just work, because the configuration is already in place. For devices doing double duty as a keyboard and synth, like your typical desktop synth with sequencer, my DAW requires one “device” to be created for each function, so each device would either be receiving ‘from’ a port, or send ‘to’ a port, thus those instruments end up with two “devices” in the list.

In that context, I wouldn’t say that multiple routings are able to be quickly reconfigured as with a page showing the entire matrix at once, but it’s easy enough to make quick single changes if necessary. One thing you’ll need is individual FW files for each of your Midihubs, so that the computer can distinguish between them, and @Giedrius has been kind enough to supply these as needed. Otherwise, if they all share the same public FW, the PC, and hence the DAW, will display multiple instances of the same port name, but they won’t work, in my experience.

For all this to work, of course, your DAW has to be open to a song with the pertinent instruments and controllers loaded and assigned. You could have a generic song with everything in your studio assigned and ready to go, and use it in a quasi DAWless mode, not using the recording / sequencing features, but the DAW would have to open just to act as the central router for all your hardware. Now that I think about it, I might create a song just to do that; so far I’ve just added a few instruments to each song as needed.

The other thing I’ve thought of, but not yet tried, is daisy chaining Midihubs, which would allow them to be used independently of the PC once configured. If I were to do that, and if it works (don’t see why it wouldn’t, but needs to be tested) I might choose one Midihub to be the central one from which all the others are chained, in order to allow anything to be routed to anything else in two stages, which wouldn’t be the case with chaining in series. Since my configuration stays put, with the PC always available, I just haven’t found it necessary to experiment along these lines.

Hope that helps.

I have three and they are routing various things.

One is routing Midi Clock from Circular Labs Mobius to guitar pedals.

Two is routing Midi Footswitch controllers with fixed CCs to Voodoo Lab Hex switches with other fixed CCs (Midihub is matching them up).

Two is also routing Yaeltex midi controllers to my DAW (Gig Performer) and pretty soon, Three is going to be doing the same thing.

Haven’t done it yet but hoping to also route the Yaeltex controllers and DAW to the guitar pedals for preset switching.

Thank you to Giedrius for providing firmware that makes using multiple Midihubs possible, so appreciative of that!

Midihub is very powerful on its own but combine it with Bome Midi Translator and it becomes nearly limitless.

This issue is specific to Windows platform only - even though devices report unique serial number to Windows, it manages to assign the same name to all MIDI ports, and sometimes even swap places, that share the same USB Vendor and Product Ids (which they should really). Linux and macOS work just fine without special builds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

if you had 4 of them attached to a USB hub, are they able to operate as 1 16x16 device, with the controlling software or driver able to create the same type of matrix programmability as I have with my Studio 5LX. Would the software/driver be able to route or process events/effects to/from MIDI ports on other MIdiHubs or is it done via the host OS/DAW?

While the MidiHub will operate standalone otherwise, you’d need a routing capable USB host (PC or otherwise) to route the USB traffic, which means your routing is spread across multiple places.

The MidiHub is good for a lot of things but I don’t think “patchbay” is one of them. I’m not familiar with Opcode Studio 5LX but based on your description and looks of it, the MioXL would be the closest contemporary counterpart with lots of ports, matrix-style routing (+ basic filtering), and fully standalone operation once configured for all of DIN, USB and RTP MIDI. And then add a MidiHub for all the fun stuff.

Thank you all for your advice, explanations and experiences. It seems that my antiquated Studio 5LX/OMS combination is still a setup that holds its head high. The combination is so extremely programmable/configurable via a fantastic GUI (with ease, once you are familiar!) and multiple devices can be linked to create an even bigger matrix (up to 1440 individually addressable MIDI ports, 128 configuration patches, with filtering, splits etc., and without a computer once setup!). I think the devices from iConnectivity offer the nearest contemporary equivalents but the UI is abysmal compared to OMS. If only there was an OMS type routing/filtering UI for MIDI/Audio devices embedded into Windows or MacOS, a distant dream I think. Damn Gibson for trashing Opcode!

MIdiHub is a different device that warrants separate consideration when adding to a setup. Multiple MIdiHubs attached to the OMS system would transport you into a very different universe!