Midi monitor pipe

This is more of a utility suggestion than a fun one, but it would certainly help my own workflow with the midihub.
The midi monitor pipe would be an element that sits in a pipeline and reports any midi activity occuring at its input. The midi activity could appear in a console to the right of the editor, possibly being displayed live in the ‘descrition’ or ‘help’ boxes for the midi monitor pipe element.
You could limit its use to one per patch, or you could allow for multiple instances of the monitor with some sort of indicator as to where the message was detected
Maybe: “P6.2: MCh 2: Note 060, velocity 103”
… would indicate a midi note of C3 played with a velocity of 103, occuring at the second element of pipeline row 6 (P6.2)

When creating large patches it is sometimes difficult to mentally keep track of which midi information is being rooted where and I’ve often encountered times where clock is appearing at an output from two sources (sequencer synchronisation hell) or notes building up in looped delays that get so dense that nothing plays cleanly (musical appreciation hell). One often finds the need for something that works like a virtual oscilloscope probe that you can place anywhere on your circuit (the patch) and see precisely what is actually going on.
I’d also request some utility additions, like a freeze function enabling to stop moitoring so you can inspect the list of misi events on those occasions where the activity is just too dense to see in real time. Maybe a filter to see just certain event types, or events from one midi monitor or another, that kind of thing.

Anyway, hopefully others would see a benefit in such a utility pipe too :slight_smile:
Phil.

Yes, that’d be indeed useful, and it was suggested by others as well:

We’re thinking about it. :slight_smile: It’s a bit risky not to overflow with additional monitoring work the vital Midihub’s functions of the actual MIDI processing and routing, but it should be possible to do.

1 Like

Ah, that’s excellent … i should have searched deeper into those old requests, apologies.
I can imagine it being used something like the old “trace” feature on some code interpreters (do these even still exist?) one would only enable it when one was debugging, and then turn it off once everything was working as expected.
Anyway, this would be much appreciated if it turns out to be possible without too much processing overhead.

1 Like

Any news on the monitor pipe? Im waiting for that badly ;))

1 Like

Not yet… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please please please a monitor pipe would SO help in troubleshooting a pipeline build. I use this feature in Cubase all the time to track who is doing what and if they are behaving.

+100

This is so helpful that the MIDI monitor now is working :+1:
…only thing I am missing is to name the ports or to give them colours…or both :wink:

2 Likes