Looper & beatbuddy controller

HI,

I am trying to build a Beatbuddy (drum machine) and looper pedal with my pisound.

The goal is to be able to control the drum machine and the (software) looper with my pisound and to synch all the elements perfect. For example, if in the drum machine i have a song with 2 parts, each part could use a different looper channel (chorus and verse).

I have started controlling the drum machine via MIDI.

3 Likes

Singular sound is going to release its own looper soon.

I know… but… what will be the price? The midi maestro costs 249$. A infinity looper costs 545$… probably singular sound looper will had a similar costs…

Well… I have been working in my Project.

At this time I have a beta with a looper and beatbuddy controller.

The software has an internal songbook, so the rasp knows what song is playing, how many parts it has, what is the tempo (bpm) for each part…

All works more or less synched, with different loops and tempos.

In the youtube link has more information about the video.

3 Likes

I have added a new feature. A fade out for the looper and midi controller…

My last video.

1 Like

Great job. That’s pretty encouraging.

Are you getting something like 2ms latency round trip? Do you have anyway to measure the latency? I have other digital devices competing for my overall latency budget.

Any degradation in sound quality if you leave this on all the time (versus true bypass)?

See the reply here regarding how to estimate what latency you can expect:

It should be ~2ms if using 192kHz rate, but it also means the effects have more processing to do, so you have to keep the complexity of the effects chain low enough to keep the chain stable.

Pisound has Total Harmonic Distortion of less than 0.05%, so the drop in quality is very low.

In any case, the latency seems not to be a problem for a looper system. Un an extreme case you could apply a latency corrector in the looper player