Is this possible: Take pitch from 1st and note on/off from 2nd midi channel?

Hi all,

I’m looking for the following functionality and was wondering if this is achievable with the Midihub: I’d like to use two tracks on my sequencer to sequence my synth. The first channel should set the pitch of the note/chord and the second should set the note on/off command. So I could have a 16 bar loop on the first channel to set the pitch of the baseline and a 1 bar loop on the second channel to set the rhythm of the baseline. Is this possible? If not, could this be added as a feature request? Maybe one solution would be to have the option on the arpeggiator to take the pitch from a separate channel than the trigger.

Thanks!

@sir-vector what I said earlier is strictly true, but not the whole picture!

It strikes me that a Note Remap pipe might do what you want if you map the OutLow & OutHigh to the value you want. (at least with a monophonic sequence where the tone is “set” prior to when the NoteOn)

What do you mean when you say

first channel should set the pitch of the note/chord

is that a note you’re sending or a cc? Wouldn’t a chord have more than one pitch simultaneously?
Or are we talking transposing here?

Thanks for the reply!

I have two use cases: 1) with single-note/monophonic sequences and 2) with chordal/polyphonic sequences.

1. The first midi input channel should set the pitch of the triggered notes; so as long as a note-on command incl. velocity and pitch is transmitted on the first input channel, that velocity and pitch is set in the “buffer” of the output channel (the “buffer” is cleared with a note-off command); the second midi input channel should trigger the notes in the “buffer”; so when a note-on command is transmitted on the second midi channel, the note-on command from the second midi channel incl. the velocity and pitch from the “buffer” is sent on the output channel.
  2. Similar logic to above just with two options: first option should trigger the chords like in the example above, the second option should arpeggiate the chord from the first channel but with the triggers from the second channel.

So I guess the whole thing could be solved with having the option in the arpeggiator to trigger the notes from an external source (instead of continuous 16th/8th/etc. notes).

Unfortunately, I think that’s gonna be a “No” if/when one of the Blokas folk reply:

I see the Midihub as (an excellent) “1in/many out” device which more or less deals with what event has just come in. It doesn’t have any buffer or state-persistence beyond what you see in Repeat, Delay, Arpeggiator.

having the option in the arpeggiator to trigger…

…as well as external trigger you also want control over the sequence too, I guess (rather than be restricted to Midihub’s 13 arp types).

I dunno if Blokas is planning anything like this (sounds a bit like Midihub MkII to me!).
In the meantime, I would probably scripting something in python using the .mido module (or isobar to make something more generative). All very nice but not as playful as Midihub and ties you to a computer…
(another user might have a better solution)

@sir-vector
Is this worth trying just to see whether it produces any interesting results?
The notion would be something like this:

• Transform the “pitch-setting” note values to CC (not sure, I think this is necessary)
  • map that CC to Note Remap OutLow|High for the incoming “note-play” channel
  • shift one of your sequences so that the Out clamping is set before the note-play channel chucks out its next note. (if that’s not possible look at delaying note-play channel a couple of ticks using SyncDelay - not yet used it meself)

Let me know if this doesn’t make sense!

1 Like

Actually I would be fine with the existing arp types as long as I can trigger them from a separate midi channel. The more I think about it, the more sense it would make to implement an external trigger functionality, as the arp already employs a similar „buffer“ concept and also provides additional functionality with the octave setting and arp types.

@Giedrius hope this is feasible to implement and can be added quickly to one of the next updates (fingers crossed)!

Actually you can already trigger Arp steps using a Sync Delay with a negative value to produce the required amounts of Clock messages at your leisure. :wink: (6 clock messages is equivalent to a 16th note)

Stepped ARP.mhp (415 Bytes)

This preset is triggered by the Middle C key (note 60), note on & off messages, but you may adapt the first line to trigger on whatever you’d like to, it should simply make sure to send a Start message into the Sync Delay pipe.

The 2nd line simply drops the Middle C note out of the stream, so it won’t interfere with the ARP pipe.

The Arp is set up in a way that it reacts to your trigger notes lengths.

Send a Start message directly to the Arp pipe to resync it, so that the next trigger signal is the one that plays a note.

Maybe this somewhat achieves what you’re after ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes