Is it possible to edit "Mapping" MIDI?

I’m very new to Midihub, sorry if this topic is already answered or clear.

I would like to setup a Transport pipeline were I can use an external knob to switch between “-12 , -6, 0, +6, +12” and not access every value between -64 and +64.
In order to do this I tried to use the CC filter and use a specific range per octave.
Example: CC 0-25.4 enables octave -12, CC 25.5-50.9 enables octave -6, CC 51-76.9 enables octave 0, etc…

Long story short: I figured out that I might miss the feature to build pipes for MIDI mapping.
Is this included or am I able to recreate a Transport pipeline with given steps instead of open?

At the moment it’s not possible, but we plan to build on the mapping system to enable use cases like this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent news :slight_smile:

@Giedrius
I think this is possible. Or have I missed the point somewhere?
This patch involves the “synthdad hack”. As you’re new to Midihub, @johnnyjules , you may not know it; it involves running a cable out from Midihub and back in to “fool” the Map feature.
Here’s the patch, Oliver, and here’s how to set it up:
TransposeStepped.mhp (392 Bytes)

1. I’ve got my notes and CCs running into mA, BUT
  2. I first set up my Transpose Map by connecting my controller up to mD temporarily; I twiddled CC107 (Transpose gets full range initially but…)
  3. plugging controller back in mA and running a patch cable from_mD~> to_mD, I’m then ready to Rescale:
  4. The first Rescale collapses the full range down to just 8 steps
  5. The second enlarges the range to 48 meaning each of the 8 jump 6 each time
  6. The vA sends the scaled CC out to mD to come back in mD to control the Transpose, the transposed notes go from_mA to your synth.

The range is a wider than what you wanted, but it does go nicely -18, -12, -6, 0, +6, +12, +18, +24. You might be able to improve it with a bit more fiddling of ranges.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s possible via a loopback, but we plan to make this more streamlined and without requiring a physical loopback. :slight_smile:

Cheers.
I know you guys have a long list of to-do’s; Do you have it prioritised somewhere public?

@resonotter
Thanks for the example. Makes sense.

@Giedrius
Glad to hear it’s planed.
Hope that this includes some sort of “mirroring” the incoming CC messages as well, to fit the knob/fader behaviour individually.
Example: Instead of turning from Value 0-127 you can either switch to 127-0 or 0 is in the middle and it goes to left -63 and right +63

I’m not sure if I get this @johnnyjules; I have devices which have param displays that are like {-100,+100} but they’re still mapped by MIDI to 0-127. :question: Or are you talking about some kind of Display Pipe?
This notwithstanding what you’re looking for seems like a RescalePlus. In which case, one issue is whether a subsequent map follows the original or Rescaled values (hopefully the improvements Giedrieus mentioned have got that in hand!) :wink:

Yes kind of Rescale Plus. With the possibility to flip the polarity to better fit custom knob and fader movements and workflows.

For example:
It would allow to change the default value (0-127) when you turn a knob from left to right to 127-0
etc.

I don’t understand, @johnnyjules; isn’t that what Rescale already does offer (by changing OutLow=127, OutHigh=0)?

I didn’t saw the forest because of too much trees :smiley:
Yes, it’s already there. I was somehow under the impression (even with the pipe name) the purpose there was to narrow value steps. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Yeah, that simple addition makes it very powerful, particularly when combined with Transform. :+1:
Same thing with Note Remap, etc.
Have fun exploring!:flight_departure:

1 Like

Mapping is also a minor concern of mine. I use a Novation Remote controller to dynamically set tempo division. I use a button of type “step” to cycle through the values. Step size = 4, range = 0 - 16. Now each push of the button gives me 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, and back to 0, 4, …
The values for tempo division read: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 1, 2, … It’s the closest I can get to an almost one on one mapping.

Edit; Forgot to say I was looking for a way to cycle through values 1, 2, 4, 8 on the tempo division pipe…

@sdk75 sounds useful, which controller is that?

AFA your mapping is concerned, I’m looking forward to the enhanced capabilities that Giedrius has hinted at.
In the meantime, might there be a way using the Scale Remap pipe?

• a bit sneaky but like CCrescale->TransformToNote->Scale Remap (to collapse some of your values in a non-linear way)->TransformToCC*?

*obviously simpler if you’re already using notes rather than CCs

Not tried it but can’t see why it wouldn’t work…

Oldie but goodie: Novation Remote 25SL (1st version)

Yes, was looking into rescaling too but stopped figuring out, my controller has labels and it now reads “TMP/2” :smile: