How to starting clock by pressing a key?

I wanna try to design it, thanks

1 Like

OK, try @JoeyButters hints.

Now you’ve made a few posts & got replies, you should be able† to post up your preset if you need Joey or someone else to give it an eye.

†Let us know if not and we’ll get your level upped.

thank you very much, both of you. I don’t think I am ready to implement this until your tutorials come out, but I will think about it.
is there a place I can look up the definition for example, of the word argument as used with MH….
i’m on that level. although, with R.‘s help, I have a Loopback that I use gigs now

“Arguments” are each of the individual settings that you can adjust in any pipe. But in the transform pipe there are arguments literally labeled argument 1, argument 2.

i’m on that level

No, it’s just a language thing, Pavel:
The everyday sense of “argument” = “disagreement” or “steps in a reasoned persuasion”

Not many native English speakers use it in the mathematical sense like Midihub does: “an independent variable”

Here, in the default Transform → Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.25.23

…think of Argument1 as “A number that I can set one of the properties to”

so here → Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.27.29

…I’m about to tell Transform to set the CC# to the incoming Note Number
(so lowest C → CC#0 , the octave up → CC#12, etc)

but hereScreen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.42.24

…Transform will make the new CC# whatever is in the Argument 1 “field”.

I just think of them as “the boxes where I store numbers I’m going to use”

(Often you don’t use them but if you’re doing something …

…like thisScreen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.52.52

…you’re probably going to need to!)

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Virtual Mappings

Here’s the patch to stop and start the clock with note-on’s. This is for every note-on message received. Whichever specific note you want to trigger the clock, specify that note in the work with note number range.
Clock Start Note Toggle.mhp (396 Bytes)

1 Like

Hello guys, I’m here

I built the following design based on the one above.

The Arp begins on a note on and ends on a note of, but it is still playing late as before.

I mean, when I press a key, the harp doesn’t start right away, it’s waiting for something.

It happens that on the last note the sound freezes, as if the gates have not closed.

Here I need smth similar to retrigger for the arp to run every time I press a key I think

Can you upload the preset using this Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 19.11.46 button?

of course

I can also make audio to make it more clear what I’m talking about

Moog Voyager ARP.mhp (520 Bytes)

May not be necessary, but it’s always interesting!
If you do, Pavel, would you also make clear what sound is coming from where? Thx

PS. I won’t get time to look at patch until Weds
and
PS2. If we’re using Start to get Live and MH in sync as you & Joey suggest, do we know how Live responds (with some sequencers I think Start is ignored if it’s running)?

@resonotter brings up a good point. Try mapping to the bypass of the clock and see if that improves the desired results.

You could also try mapping to the bypass of the virtual port. You will leave the clock running at all times this way.

Also try mapping to the clock argument in a filter.

Maybe try running your incoming notes through an additional pipeline in case the 1st note is arriving before the clock hits the arp.

Midi KB - Ableton - MH - Moog Voyager

have a good Weds :slight_smile:

I do not send start message from ableton at all. Ableton in this case is only a sequencer that transmits a note, not a sync message

When I talk about synchronization, I’m guessing that if the ableton is worth 120 bpm and the MH is 120bpm, the arp and ableton should play in sync, without the start message from ableton for the arp in the MH…

Not so long ago, I had a north lead 4 in which there was a arp and I was just recording midi messages in a real time inside the ableton and playing them like they are, without a synchronized start

• 3 audio examples.

Every time Ableton starts playing I have a different arp. It’s not a song position problem, the starting point is always the same - the beginning of the track

Why are we not taking clock from Ableton?
Usually (Always?!) best to have one clock source†

† others will know more than me about this

yes, sounds good, but before i record part of midi i want to live play with swing notes for example

Should still be a way around without resorting to two Clocks

I don’t use Albleton but syncing it to Midihub’s Clock may be an option

Hey!

See, I recorded in the left channel the vst arp, in the right moog - MH - ARP

The first track with play with the arp is active, the second - without it

The start message is transmitted from the ableton

I made a screen, there are notes without a quantize

Argument is a programming term. It is basically a variable used inside a function, as a means of passing variable data from outside the function to a line of code inside the function. A variable is simply a bucket to hold data, often temporarily.

So a function might look like this:

var looping = 0;
function playLoops (arg1, arg2) {
playThisLoop(arg1);
stopThisLoop(arg2);
}

So from anywhere in the program where you might call (ie use) that function you can use the ARGUMENTS to pass other variables or data into the function

playLoops (beat1.wav, piano2.wav);

Here the samples beat1.way and piano2.wav have been directly passed into the playThisLoop() and stopThatLoop() elements inside the function.

In MIDIhub, as has been illustrated by others, its used to describe two variables - that are context sensitive (they change depending on what choice you select from the menu item above it). So its just a way for you to make settings for two elements of several of the pipes options. Arguments is just one of those words in the English language that have an entirely different meaning in another context, in this case programming.

Clear as mud, eh.

1 Like

thank you very much for the explanation. I suspect your background is in coding.

R: Did you read the Mentor manual ?
if so, what did you think of its architecture?

Voice to text on Peters phone.
Peter Einhorn

Creative Tunings. Inc
Woodstock New York, USA.
www. spidercapo.com

Do you have a link?