How to starting clock by pressing a key?

Hello !

I have some project in ableton live and arp from midihub to external synth.

Its simply patch and its work, but i have troubles with playing arp.

Arp starts to play different every start. When i press a key on midi kb, i hear that quantize work, but i want, that clock start to work every pressing a key and stopped, when a key off.

Maybe will be good to do quantize not 4/4 but 4/8 - 4/16?

How i can do this ?

Hi Pavel and welcome to Midihub forums.

Iā€™m not quite sure what youā€™re asking for, but I think it is this:

• Live is sending out BPM and patterns which fit to some beat pattern (say 4/4)

• You want Midihub arp to snap to those beats whenever you hold a chord.

This is not possible because:

After saying ā€œStartā€, Live is only sending out Clock messages, not any info about where in the bar/song it isā€ 

Check it out yourself:

try filtering out any notes CCs etc coming from Live and watch the Monitor as you try different BPMs.

Hereā€™s one sec at 60BPM and 30BPM

this makes it easier to figure out there are 24 Clocks to the beat.

but Clock doesnā€™t have any other data, itā€™s a bit like a real clock going ā€œtick, tick, tickā€¦ā€;
Midihub canā€™t see the clock hands (it doesnā€™t even get ā€œtick, tock, tickā€¦ā€!)

So thatā€™s all Arp has to go on:

it will do notes at (say) 1/8 intervals (with the odd ones swung if you want)ā€¦
ā€¦but only from the next Clock after you do NoteOn

It simply doesnā€™t have the information to anything more.

Let me know if Iā€™ve misunderstood your question

ā€ (until itā€™s paused/restarted then it will probably send Song Position Pointer but thatā€™s another story and of no use to us here)

Thanks for your answer !

I mean I want the clock to start with a note on and stop with a note of

I have a midi track inside ableton. The midihub clock doesnā€™t know when the message from Ableton will start transmitting, and I need to catch the position when the ARP will sync with the midihub clock

If the clock started every time a note started, the arp would play exactly always i think

So is Clock from MH or Live?

You just need to map a note to the ā€œstartedā€ argument. If your midi buttons/key can be toggled then no more is needed.

If not, youā€™ll have to create your own on/off toggle.

If you can spare 2 midi buttons/keys you can map both to the started argument, one using value 64-100(on) and the second using value 0-63(off).

If you canā€™t set these values in your controller you can alternatively use a pipeline to rescale your input to the desired values before it hits the virtual pipe that is designated as the target port for mapping.

If you want to use a knob, youā€™ll could to use a rescale pipe to turn values 0-127 into 63-64.

If you want to use 1 key only as a toggle for your mapping it gets a bit trickier. I had a patch that did this but I donā€™t use that technique much. Iā€™ll see if I can dig it up. Maybe Resonator has or can point you to an existing toggle patch for mapped arguments.

@hologramfacemusic This is now simpler with 1.14.0:

• a Note_on ā†’ CC Replace Transform (fixed CC, fixed value) for each key you want to toggle
    (values are set to 0|127~ see below)

• a (CC) Rescale [0;127] ā†’ [127;0] to do the flipping
    (so set value above to the opposite of what you want your initial value to be)

• and a couple of ā€œbookendā€ Filters to make sure that only Note_onā€™s get in and CCs get out
    (this way you can keep adding new ā€œtogglesā€ as your preset develops ā€“ any unTransformed note_ons just get stopping from leaving)

• end the line with a Virtual out, say H, which will ā€œcollectā€ all the virtual mapping toggle events for use in other ā€œmessageā€ pipelines
    (The beauty is, you donā€™t even need Virtual H-IN in your preset for the mappings to work )

• and finally the ā€œcoup de graceā€ā€“ for each of the mapping Transform, map the ā€œvalueā€ Arg to ā€˜itselfā€™
    (so if your Transform is Ch16 CC77 and the Value is set to Arg2 then Add a mapping to Arg2 {Virtual H, CC, 16, 77}ā€¦
    ā€¦ and so on for each toggle you create)

When 1.14.0 graduates beyond Beta, this will be in a short series of ā€œVirtual Mapping Techniquesā€
(In meantime, Iā€™ll post a shot/patch tomorrow if you havenā€™t sussed it already)

2 Likes

Clock from MH :slight_smile:

I wanna try to design it, thanks

1 Like

OK, try @JoeyButters hints.

Now youā€™ve made a few posts & got replies, you should be ableā€  to post up your preset if you need Joey or someone else to give it an eye.

ā€ Let us know if not and weā€™ll get your level upped.

thank you very much, both of you. I donā€™t think I am ready to implement this until your tutorials come out, but I will think about it.
is there a place I can look up the definition for example, of the word argument as used with MHā€¦.
iā€™m on that level. although, with R.ā€˜s help, I have a Loopback that I use gigs now

ā€œArgumentsā€ are each of the individual settings that you can adjust in any pipe. But in the transform pipe there are arguments literally labeled argument 1, argument 2.

iā€™m on that level

No, itā€™s just a language thing, Pavel:
The everyday sense of ā€œargumentā€ = ā€œdisagreementā€ or ā€œsteps in a reasoned persuasionā€

Not many native English speakers use it in the mathematical sense like Midihub does: ā€œan independent variableā€

Here, in the default Transform ā†’ Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.25.23

ā€¦think of Argument1 as ā€œA number that I can set one of the properties toā€

so here ā†’ Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.27.29

ā€¦Iā€™m about to tell Transform to set the CC# to the incoming Note Number
(so lowest C ā†’ CC#0 , the octave up ā†’ CC#12, etc)

but here ā†’ Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.42.24

ā€¦Transform will make the new CC# whatever is in the Argument 1 ā€œfieldā€.

I just think of them as ā€œthe boxes where I store numbers Iā€™m going to useā€

(Often you donā€™t use them but if youā€™re doing something ā€¦

ā€¦like this ā†’ Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 14.52.52

ā€¦youā€™re probably going to need to!)

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Virtual Mappings

Hereā€™s the patch to stop and start the clock with note-onā€™s. This is for every note-on message received. Whichever specific note you want to trigger the clock, specify that note in the work with note number range.
Clock Start Note Toggle.mhp (396 Bytes)

1 Like

Hello guys, Iā€™m here

I built the following design based on the one above.

The Arp begins on a note on and ends on a note of, but it is still playing late as before.

I mean, when I press a key, the harp doesnā€™t start right away, itā€™s waiting for something.

It happens that on the last note the sound freezes, as if the gates have not closed.

Here I need smth similar to retrigger for the arp to run every time I press a key I think

Can you upload the preset using this Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 19.11.46 button?

of course

I can also make audio to make it more clear what Iā€™m talking about

Moog Voyager ARP.mhp (520 Bytes)

May not be necessary, but itā€™s always interesting!
If you do, Pavel, would you also make clear what sound is coming from where? Thx

PS. I wonā€™t get time to look at patch until Weds
and
PS2. If weā€™re using Start to get Live and MH in sync as you & Joey suggest, do we know how Live responds (with some sequencers I think Start is ignored if itā€™s running)?

@resonotter brings up a good point. Try mapping to the bypass of the clock and see if that improves the desired results.

You could also try mapping to the bypass of the virtual port. You will leave the clock running at all times this way.

Also try mapping to the clock argument in a filter.

Maybe try running your incoming notes through an additional pipeline in case the 1st note is arriving before the clock hits the arp.

Midi KB - Ableton - MH - Moog Voyager

have a good Weds :slight_smile:

I do not send start message from ableton at all. Ableton in this case is only a sequencer that transmits a note, not a sync message

When I talk about synchronization, Iā€™m guessing that if the ableton is worth 120 bpm and the MH is 120bpm, the arp and ableton should play in sync, without the start message from ableton for the arp in the MHā€¦

Not so long ago, I had a north lead 4 in which there was a arp and I was just recording midi messages in a real time inside the ableton and playing them like they are, without a synchronized start

• 3 audio examples.

Every time Ableton starts playing I have a different arp. Itā€™s not a song position problem, the starting point is always the same - the beginning of the track