[Download] Midihub 1.6.1 Big Update!

Hey guys, here’s the update everyone was waiting for! :slight_smile:

New Pipes!

image image image image image image image
image image image image image image image
image image image image

Each pipe has its documentation in the Context Help section of the editor, let us know if it’s comprehensible enough. :slight_smile:

Most Significant Changes

Midihub now keeps track of all the notes flowing through it, it should be impossible to get a dangling note when adding / removing pipes, or changing pipe param values, it should always produce either a ‘all notes off’ or individual note off messages when necessary. Of course you can still get a stuck note if you disconnect the external device that produced a Note On event before the respective Note Off event, but on changing the preset, or deleting the related input/output that should be taken care of. :slight_smile:

Up to 1024 bytes of description text will get stored to Midihub flash memory.

Some changes and fixes were made to the UI for smoother user experience.

1.6.1 Editor downloads

1.06 Firmware

To update the Midihub firmware, switch it on while holding down The Button. In the firmware upgrade mode, all the LEDs should be lit up. Then connect to it with the editor, go to Device->Flash Firmware, pick the downloaded bfw file and hit OK.

* All stored presets and microtunings will be removed during the firmware upgrade process * - you’ll have to back it up manually by loading each preset and saving them to disk with different names, a ‘data dump’ function to automate this, and to automatically do that during firmware update is planned to be done before the public release.

1.6.1 Detailed Changelog

• Fixed editing of Randomizer pipe’s Negative parameter.
  • Added a couple of new example presets.
  • New icon.

1.6.0 Detailed Changelog

• Limiter pipe split into Limiter and the new Rescale pipe.
  • Added new Note Range Filter pipe.
  • Added new Channel Range Filter pipe.
  • Added new CC Range Filter pipe.

1.5.1 Detailed Changelog

• Parameter Name column initially is now a bit wider.
  • Properties window column widths will be retained between runs.
  • Fixed storing of preset with empty description.
  • Removed ‘description will be lost’ message.
  • Dragging and dropping leftmost pipes will rearrange the pipelines.

1.05 Detailed Changelog

Midihub Roadmap

• Midihub now keeps track of all the notes, it should be impossible to get a dangling note when building the pipeline, or changing pipe param values, it should always produce either ‘all notes off’ or individual note off messages.
  • Filter pipe got split into Filter and Channel Filter.
  • Added more fine granularity to Filter pipe.
  • Added toolbar to filter pipes properties, so making bulk changes is easy.
  • Added current preset number display above the pipeline.
  • Added ‘Duplicate Whole Pipeline’ right click menu option.
  • Midihub now stores up to 1024 bytes of description in its flash memory.
  • Initial window positioning on first run improved.
  • Microtunings import/export dialog added.

@midihub-beta-tester

7 Likes

Yes!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Finally I could solve the issue with my Novation Peak reacting wrongly on certain CCs

3 Likes

Thanks! Would try out tonight. I am hoping the Filter function would have more capabilities such as filter specific CC.

1 Like

actually the filter doesn’t offer that yet but the CC remapper did it in my case.

Would be nice to add the possibility filtering specific CCs!

1 Like

Thanks for your info!

If so how to filter out a specific CC by use of remapper? I guess the destination gotta be somewhere?

in my case I only had to remove cc 120/121 … so I clamped the range till 119 … I don’t need the remaining 7 ccs

1 Like

I guess this is for Digitakt? :smiley:

nope … the Novation Peak reacts wrongly on that CCs (the amp and filter env gets changed)

CC120/121 is the all sounds off command … but changing the Env is really not a nice way to implement this (the squarp pyramid send this when it gets stopped)

What I am coming from is for Digitakt MIDI Loopback technique, I was first think of Midihub, but found that it is unable to do so. Now the update seems to have some hopes, even if it is a workaround.

wow, great update … really has taken the midihub to the next level,
it can now do a whole load of “creative” stuff as well as the more common routing tasks!

one small ‘typo’ : when you change presets on GUI, it still says its going to clear the description, but that’s no longer true as its storing it on the midihub.

suggestions:

• you might also want to allow a blank description or default it to something, so that you can flash without editing the description (I think often people will leave this blank/not bother)
  • do you need really need the view/edit toggle? - seems a bit unnecessary to me.
  • perhaps it would be best to distribute the firmware within the application (as a resource), then the user could just click ‘flash firmware’ , and app will know where to pick it up. seems to me, you’d likely want to use the same firmware version as editor version?
    (you could allow a hidden shortcut e.g. hold ctrl while selecting menu item, to take a specific from a firmware file if you think this might be needed in ‘more advanced’ support scenarios?)
2 Likes

Excellent! I’ll try to mess around with this during the weekend and report back :slight_smile: Looking forward to it!

(CC remapping and CC LFO :money_mouth_face: )

1 Like

LOVE IT!!! THANKS!!!

[bug] that crashes the editor
(Mac OS 10.12.6 no MIDIhub connected)

• Inserting MIDI IN
  • Inserting LFO in the second row as generator
  • inserting something else (eg clock) in third row
  • mooving LFO genertor from row 2 to row 1 to make it manipulator of midi in
    –> then there is only blank space, the yellow icon is gone. Trying to remove lfo generator then from row one crashes the editor

[suggestion]
in properties: make the column with name wider and value smaller.

1 Like

Feedback on Limiter Pipe:

• there is the funciton of rescaling midi values somehow “hidden”

But this is a super useful feature and I think this should be more visible.

1 Like

Yeah, the remap pipes discard messages that are outside of the input range, and if the input and output ranges are set to the same range, the messages will be passed through as is.

It would make sense to add a new dedicated pipe (“Range Filter”?) (or more) for this function. Would you prefer a single pipe taking these params: kind of data it works with (notes, cc, channel number), the range (low value, high value), and whether the messages in the range are to be kept or dropped.

Or, instead of the ‘kind of data it works with’ parameter, there could be 3 pipe types, called “Note Range Filter”, “CC Range Filter” and “Channel Range Filter”.

Let us know whether you’d prefer more pipe types, or to have a single multi-purpose pipe with more parameters.

Thank you! Yeah, missed the message, will fix. :slight_smile:

A blank description should be allowed, did you encounter some issue when it’s empty?

The description supports markdown for some text formatting possibilities, so that’s why there’s a ‘view’ option that shows the ‘pretty’ view of the description, and ‘edit’ for editing the markdown in plain text mode.

Makes sense, we’ll likely move to such model for the public version.

Thank you! This bug will be a good excuse to finally implement reordering of the whole pipelines by moving the leftmost pipe to another row, so the expected behavior of moving CC LFO and other leftmost pipes will be to change the order of the rows, as well as CC LFO which is a ‘modifier’ will not be movable to the leftmost position of the row, so the only way to switch between the types of CC LFO will be to put in a brand new one at the correct position.

I’ll try to adjust it a bit for the initial run, but I’ll also make the editor remember widths of the Properties columns, so if users tweak it a bit, it’s available between runs.

The Limiter pipe has two modes of operation - Clip and Rescale. Would you prefer there to be a separate pipe type for the linear rescale mode of operation?

1 Like

Yep, that sounds good! So far I did not had other crashes and didn’t find other bugs.

Great!

I think two separate pipes would be a good solution. Or just rename the pipe to “Clip & Rescale” ? … but I think this conflicts the clear one-function-per-pipe approach.

I’d imagine the Filter like this

2 Likes

might also want to allow a blank description or default it to something, so that you can flash without editing the description (I think often people will leave this blank/not bother)

A blank description should be allowed, did you encounter some issue when it’s empty?

iirc, I thought an error message came up when I tried to store it on the midi hub.
(might have been a warning, but i thought it said something along lines of i needed a description)

do you need really need the view/edit toggle? - seems a bit unnecessary to me.

The description supports markdown for some text formatting possibilities, so that’s why there’s a ‘view’ option that shows the ‘pretty’ view of the description, and ‘edit’ for editing the markdown in plain text mode.

I might be wrong, but I suspect few will bother with markdown (or even consider) for a description :slight_smile: (perhaps it might be useful for examples you provide?)

Actually you’re right, there’s a failure message that gets shown when storing with empty description, will fix that. (The preset data does get saved in memory even in spite of the message, so it can be safely ignored until an update gets released)

The examples do use it in minimal way for the nice title :slight_smile: . What do others think about the markdown formatting of the description?

1 Like

Hey guys, I’ve just published a minor update 1.5.1 (new versioning scheme), the updated links to the new Editor and change log are in the first post, it fixes the couple of issues we talked about here.

The firmware had no new changes.

1 Like

Hey guys, just released another update, 1.6.0 editor and 1.06 firmware.

It has the Limiter split into Limiter and Rescale, as well as 3 new range filter pipes, which allow a convenient way to enter the value ranges to keep or filter out messages, as suggested by @verstaerker above.

2 Likes