DIY Electret mic, and board availability

Hello
I’ve been trying to find a board to add to my Pi3 which will help make a bat detector. I need to be able to record at least 192kHz and Pisound appears to do that. My current home made mic is electret based with I’m wiring directly to my current sound card (sampling at 96kHz). Once I’ve fitted a suitable jack will this mic be ok with the Pisound?

And one final question - are these boards likely to be available soon?

Thanks

Duncan

1 Like

Hey, electret microphones are possible to use with Pisound if 2 solder jumpers are soldered, as described in https://blokas.io/pisound/docs/audio/#5v-bias-solder-jumpers

Yes, Pisound is capable of 192kHz sampling rate.

The boards should be available to order in about a week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. If the price is right then you can expect at least one order :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi
I was just just about to check the link again before ordering but the link above no longer seems to take me to anything useful about jumpers, soldering or electrets. Any reason?

Hey, this looks like a mistake in the documentation, we will soon restore it, thank you for spotting it! :slight_smile:

The documentation is now fixed.

2 Likes

@duncanh – did you end up getting a board and making your bat detector? I’m working on DIY streaming hydrophones for listening to echolocation from toothed whales and wonder:

Did you figure out how to solder the jumpers successfully for 5V bias power on the input jack?

If so, I’d really appreciate a photo of your soldered board (ideally with pointers to the jumpers). The documentation you fixed with @Giedrius isn’t quite specific enough for me to get started…

Thanks from Seattle,
Scott

Hi Scott
I decided not to go with a the Pisound as I managed to find one of the Cirrus Logic Pi Audio cards on Ebay at a reasonable price. Also, I’m hoping that AudioInjector get their next project started which will be a 192kHz input/output card for the Pi Zero

1 Like

Hey, posted a photo and description in Soldering the 5V bias jumpers.

1 Like