Building and deploying LV2s to MODEP

Hi, I have a Pi-Stomp device (RaspberryPi 3) running modep and I’m attempting to build and deploy my own plugins to it. Is it necessary to use the mod-plugin-builder to compile the LV2s to run on modep, and if so which target should I use? (modduo, modduox, moddwarf, x86_64). I wasn’t sure if I could just build a normal LV2 using Juce and deploy it to the appropriate folder on the device.

Thanks,

-Keith

Hi, you can build it in any way, as long as it’s for ARM. It’s easiest to get it right if it gets built on the Raspberry Pi itself. I think you should use modduo target if it asks for it.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! I’ll share the plugins on the forum once I get them running.

I compiled an lv2 successfully with the modduox-static tool chain, created ttl files for it, and a html gui. I used modduox-static because I need gcc7.5 and modduox is the same as the RaspberryPi 3 arch. I then used scp to put the lv2 package in /usr/modep/lv2 (I’m using pi-stomp, RaspberryPi 3 based device. When I drag and drop the plugin in the virtual pedalboard I get an Error, could not load plugin message. Is there a log file where I can find more info on why it failed to load?

As a side note, It was unable to generate a thumbnail in the mod-sdk, but the rest of the gui creation worked fine.

The exact error message is “Error adding effect”

Update:
I used “sudo journalctl -fu modep-mod-host” to monitor messages and got this when dragging the plugin to the pedalboard:

Apr 13 00:10:33 patchbox mod-host[474]: lilv_lib_open(): error: Failed to open library /usr/modep/lv2/TS-M1N3.lv2/TS-M1N3.so (/usr/modep/lv2/TS-M1N3.lv2/TS-M1N3.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64)
Apr 13 00:10:33 patchbox mod-host[474]: can't get lilv instance

I’m guessing it didn’t cross compile correctly for my target. Any ideas?

Update 2: Going to try compiling using “modduo-static” environment as @Giedrius suggested, will let you know how it goes, thanks!

-Keith

1 Like

Yes, it got built for the wrong architecture, it should be one of them 32 bit ARM architectures.

1 Like

Got it working! Most of it anyway, the knobs aren’t responding, probably the way I implemented them in the code. After I fix that I’ll share on the forums.

And here they are:

1 Like