WiFi won't Connect

I have two networks at home. The main one is a long way from my studio but I have another router plugged into the first (ethernet) configured as an access point.

I can connect to the main one (if I move closer to the router) with my pi/patchbox but I cannot connect to the second one. I’m not sure if this is because it is an access point, because it has no security or for another reason.

The network comes up in the scan if I go through the patchbox/wifi set up. I select it and the patchbox network disappears but then the connection fails and patchbox starts up again.

I’m not really sure how to go about troubleshooting this. Where can I check the network settings? I haven’t noticed any other devices having trouble connecting with my home network.

Thanks.

Is the router that is plugged into the main network the same ssid? And are they the same type of wireless protocol? I had a similar setup at one point in time and had nothing but issues. I since have switched to a mesh wifi router system and no problems since

No - different ssid’s but same protocol.
The network has been running for a couple of years with no problems for any other devices.
But patchbox/modep doesn’t like it!

The I would suggest using dmesg and see what shows up in the log.

All I have is this:

960.657773] brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_set_power_mgmt: power save enabled
[ 962.838551] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready

Just tried enabling network security, then entering the password in the patchbox config and it connected.

That’s great but I don’t want a password on that network. Hmm. Wonder if it’s a bug or I’m doing something wrong.

So are you saying your wifi is an open network? Is maybe the extension router configured to use a password and the base unit is not?