Web client for ORAC 2.0

Same as what they do for organelle… producing (midi) notes & assisting in operation ((programming), in case of aux button).
Is there something wrong with that idea? :slightly_smiling_face:
The web client is analogues to touchosc app, isn’t it, where that kind of functionality can be achieved. In my understanding anyway…

Is it possible to send note data using Touchosc app? I do not recall such functionality at the API level this is currently implemented, so, no, there are no plans for that.

Yes, Touchosc definitely can send note data! What it might not be able to handle is menu navigation, which is already implemented nicely here.

I think “it’s possible” is the right answer, yes.

It would require that those buttons be added to the web interface, obviously. And in lieu of MIDI, I think it should send OSC messages.

I believe you would also need to edit the Orac template to listen for those messages, and then route them to wherever the messages from native Organelle buttons are passed in.

So… some amount of reverse engineering required. But you didn’t ask if it would be easy. You only asked for possible.

After much searching around within the orac files I cannot find the setting to increase the timeout value of the menu change process. When using a touch pad, the menu system is too quick at autoselecting options. Please let me know if there is a way to add a couple of milliseconds to it.
-sam

Hello mate, I had same problem and haven’t got round to fixing it yet, but believe the answer ye seek be here: Orac 2.0 for the Raspberry PI

On another note, I wanted to make a remote client of my own - either using touchosc or mobmuplat - thought it would be cool to add some pages to the standard menu with for instance a grid for sequencing &/ xy-multitouch… So attempting to reverse engineer from studying @thetechnobear’s PD client. Anyway I have no problem whatsoever sending osc data to orac, but I can’t get anything back, is there some step I’m missing? For instance I noticed the PD client sends a /Connect 6101 to oscout upon start up - I tried mimicking that with a mobmuplat patch but no joy… I’ll keep at it a bit I guess, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers all have gooddaze

Sorry bit off topic but just a brief note to say that after taking a wee break I found the problem I had getting osc-feedback into mobmuplat - mobmuplat uses the pd vanilla [oscformat]/[oscparse] objects, which can’t tell the difference between floats & integers - so I was sending [list /Connect 6101( quite rightly, but mobmuplat was reading 6101 as a float so passing wrong osc message to [netsend]. I just hacked my mobmupatch for now. Very frustrating but glad got something kind of sorted… I’m only really fiddling around like this because I couldn’t connect to the web client, don’t have lemur, and wanted something better suited to my phone (old samsung) than the pd client. Ta.

Hi there
Nice to see someone working in that direction. I was trying to create something based on Mark’s PD clien in PdDroidParty. Btw, did you need to make any network settings in the Mobmuplat? Every time I tried, Mobmuplat crashes on me. Also what Android version is your old samsung on? I’m assuming you using latest Mobmuplat…
I also tried to create additional page in Mark’s lemur client which would make orac play notes & do aux button action with no success. Cheers.

Also, out of curiosity, how have you solved the oscformat/oscparse issue? How did you go about the hack you mentioned? Thanks.

FYI, anyone struggling with the instal (maybe getting “sh: 28: pip3: not found”), make sure you’ve followed the update info on the GitHub

Application depends on git , python3 (3.5, should work with 3.6, not sure about 3.7) and pip3 . Install script will check if git is installed, but you need to manually verify that python3 and pip3 are available ( pip3 --version and python3 --version ). Install the missing dependencies through your package manager, e.g. sudo apt-get install python3-pip .

And make sure you’ve definitely typed ‘sudo apt-get install python3-pip’…

Also, big thanks to @murmeklis!

1 Like

Hello - sorry for long delay in replying - my computer stuff all a mess at the minute as doing digital spring clean & moving over to/learning linux… BUT

mobmuoracsketch.zip (4.0 KB)

There’s the very rough sketch I was working on - feel free to see if it works for you - I guess we should start a new thread if we want to talk more about it (sorry if the tangent has annoyed anyone!). The second page has a bang or toggle that you have to hit to tell orac to connect. I wasn’t happy with how the menu was working, and the generally bodge-job nature of my approach - I was also experiencing the odd dropped package/bit with mobmu & started to wonder if some other approach entirely wasn’t warranted… (like just getting the webapp working & making do with my mpkmini).

I plan to upgrade to latest patchbox and try installing web app again (checking against info above) some time soon. But if you want to start a thread about making a mobmu or touchosc interface I’d be happy to try to contribute/help as & when I can.

I’m running Android 5.0 and mobmu 0.37. I had to set the broadcast IP address to my PI ip in mobmuplat, and the ports were 6100/6101 I think - sorry I’m not properly set up to check all that stuff at the min.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for sharing @Sam_Knot ! You’ve done a grand job mate! I’m still trying to get my head around how you did it, looking at your pd patch :grinning: . I try to fiddle with it a bit, do some tests & then hopefully post it to the the new thread with some simple guide for people how to customise it to their preferred appearance. Obviously with your permission. Thanks again. Keep safe & well.

Really glad that was at all useful for you mate, I will try to have a fiddle this week some time, tidy it up/comment it, maybe have a quick look at getting midi notes/aux out, and pop it in a new thread if I don’t see one already started. Cheers!

(edit: you have my permission to do whatever you want with it, btw, and you keep safe & well too, & happy easter all!)

1 Like

That’s would be fantastic! Thanks, you’ve done a lot already @Sam_Knot . You are an absolute star! Appreciate your time & effort! Cheers.

Out of curiosity, once this is running and installed is there a way to start and stop it?

Also, any thoughts as to why I would be able to access the web client on my PC but not using https://localhost:8080 on the RPi itself?

Hello! It’s been a while but for the service I believe standard systemctl commands should work, i.e.
sudo systemctl start orac-control-web.service
sudo systemctl stop orac-control-web.service

For the localhost issue, I’m not sure, sorry. One thing I can offer to try is to open using http, not https, I don’t remember setuping https for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Newbie - unable to get Orac web client to run from either localhost on the pi or from a machine I can connect via VNC.

Error is Err_connection_refused

Thx

I got it figured out - or at least stumbled across the answer. I ran the install script (curl…) above but after I’d switched modules and it installed and now works.

Helped me getting the web app running, thanks!

1 Like

Awesome! It works well. I think this package should be in the ORAC module bundle.