Ways to support Pi4 sound card at the same time as sound pi?

I have a strange use case, and from my sleuthing here it may not be very easy to pull off. I’ll go ahead and ask anyway just in case. I’m working on a guitar pedalboard using super collider. That part works great. However, for my use case I also want to listen to a microphone (voice input), and output some sound to a cheap speaker from a chromium front end that I’ve built. It’s fine for this part to be low quality - this is just for user interactions.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to simultaneously use the built in Pi4 audio with chromium, while still running super collider on the sound pi? Note that the uses are different (sound pi is doing actual FX, chromium with webaudio is just listening to voice and doing some basic audio playback). Thx!

It should be possible to use different sound cards independently at the same time. What you need to figure out is how to force Chromium to pick the built-in one. I’m not sure where its audio settings are configured. You may also look at some alternative browsers, just in case they seem easier to reconfigure.

ok thanks! I’ll give it a shot and report back.

I haven’t done a lot of testing, but so far this seems to work great for built in headphone playback along with sound pi for super collider:
chromium-browser --alsa-output-device=“hw:0,0”
next up i’ll try a USB device that has mic support. Thx for the suggestion, so far this is just working. :smiley:

1 Like

Just following up that I got a USB mic to work alongside my pisound & supercollider. It’s great. Thanks again for the suggestion.