"Waiting for Oracbridge" for all of eternity. Oracbridge is installed on PiSound, Controller installed on Midiboy

Hi. Just finished building my Midiboy today, and I am unable to get the Midiboy to connect to my PiSound to control Orac. I have the Orac Controller patch uploaded to the Midiboy, and have installed the Oracbridge.py app to my PiSound. Orac/Mec are working on the PiSound (I can hear the init patch on bootup) but my Midiboy refuses to connect.

Any ideas? Is this an error with my build, or with the software?

What output do you get when you run lsusb and amidi -l with the Midiboy running Orac controller sketch?

Thanks for your reply, this is the response I get. Tried it with a few different cables, no change.

Looks like the device is not getting recognized by Raspberry Pi, it should appear as a MIDI device.

Does lsusb produce different results if the Midiboy is in bootloader mode?

Midi and USB listings are still the same if I load it in bootloader.

Can you show the output of dmesg after attempting to connect & disconnect the Midiboy? Does other devices like your laptop / PC properly detect Midiboy as a MIDI device when running the sketch?

It is recognized as a MIDI device on my computer. Here are the logs of when I run dmesg:

[ 1689.287067] usb 1-1-port2: attempt power cycle
[ 1689.944132] usb 1-1.2: new low-speed USB device number 35 using xhci_hcd
[ 1689.976945] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[ 1690.126960] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[ 1690.344155] usb 1-1.2: new low-speed USB device number 36 using xhci_hcd
[ 1690.377003] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[ 1690.527052] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/8, error -32
[ 1690.644438] usb 1-1-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

Hmm, looks like for whatever reason it fails to get detected properly. It looks like you’re using Pi 4 4GB version, I tried using the same kernel version and Midiboy gets detected properly every time it is connected.

This may indicate an issue either with the cable (you could try a shorter cable, or one with a ferrite bead(s) near the end(s)), or some soldering issue on the board. Make sure the solder joints are all well done. Also make sure the components appear roughly in the same places and same direction (for polarized components only) as in the picture on https://blokas.io/midiboy/assembly/4/

Even though your computer detects it right, some other USB implementations might struggle communicating with the same device due to noises induced somewhere, or small mistakes in the schematic.

Ok, I’ll take another look at the soldering after work tonight and let you know how that works. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Just finished up re-soldering a few questionable points. Everything was already matching the schematic. Used a 1 ft. cable with a ferric bead, and everything is still the same as it was before.

Any suggestions? I’m at a loss here.

Do you have some USB hub you could try to put in the chain, just to see if the Raspberry Pi would manage to detect it through a USB hub?

Maybe try installing package updates (sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade) or try to switch to a regular kernel using the kernel menu in patchbox utility, and restart the system. (but both, the stock and realtime kernels worked fine with our Pi4 4GB board)

Ahhhh! The usb hub did the trick, thank you so much for helping me through this!

Well, it worked for a few minutes, but now it is back to the “Waiting for OracBridge” screen, even with the USB hub. Tried reflashing the Patchbox OS to a new card, re-installed the Orac Controller to Midiboy, and also tried the whole process on my Raspberry Pi 3b as well as the 4, but it still isn’t working. I have to assume there’s some error in my build, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what it is - everything is exactly in place according to the schematic, and my solder joints are all fine.

At this point I think I’m just going to go back to using the web controller rather than keep banging my head against a wall.

Can you post the pictures of your build (both sides) or send to hello@blokas.io, so we can see if we can spot any issue?

Also, is the ATmega328 IC inserted well, all pins are in right places and not bent?