VSTs in Patchbox OS

Updated: I found a PD mellotron patch someone created that works pretty well! Still curious about how VSTs work in relation to ARM so I thought I’d leave this up.

So I just switched to patchbox OS because my PI day Pisound & case came in the mail!

So one thing I want to do is run a mellotron VST. I downloaded one and tossed it in the Audacity VST directory (I tried /usr/local/bin/plug-ins and /usr/bin/plug-ins which is what the Audacity wiki told me to do) and it wouldn’t load from either location.

So then I installed Reaper and tried the same thing and it failed. I downloaded a couple more mellotron VSTs that I found & they wouldn’t load either. I’m guessing that the VSTs I downloaded aren’t ARM compatible and were only designed for 32/64 bit systems.

Advice? How do you handle VSTs in patchbox OS and where do you find compatible ones?

1 Like

Yes, the VSTs should be compiled for ARM in order to work on Raspberry Pi’s.

The most favorite plugin format on Linux is LV2, this is the format you’re most likely to find when searching for things that’ll work on Raspberry Pi’s too. MODEP is a good starting point as it has hundreds of LV2 plugins readily available.

I similarly am trying to sort out getting a Windows VST running on my Pi 4. I have what I think hope is a simple enough vst dll without any special copy protection/registration. Floyd Steinberg shared a method here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O04HqwIwdco&t=192s. I had success with the step to build box86, but the Wine installation steps failed for me. If you are reading this and have had success with the Box86/Wine option for Windows VST on Patchbox, please let me know!

*It appears the Carla VST host available for the Pi has options to detect and run 32 bit Windows VST but the options are greyed out on my 32 bit Patchbox. I use Carla nearly everyday, but there is limited documentation out there for it. I am using the KX-Studio Carla build.

1 Like