Velocity Curves

I have been considering buying the Midi Solutions Velocity Converter, though I kind of think the price is robbery.

Is this something that has been considered for a future implementation in the Midihub?

It would be a really great addition, and tbh probably create a competitive product for others considering the Velocity Converter, as Midihub does loads of other things as well, for not so much more money…

1 Like

The Equalizer pipe is already doing a similar thing, based on a curve, but the input is actually the note number, not the velocity.

We can easily reuse that implementation to add a ‘Velocity Curve’ pipe which would act on the velocity instead. :slight_smile: Or even simply add another parameter to Equalizer, to make it switchable to work with velocity instead, but the Equalizer name would no longer be fitting. :smiley:

2 Likes

That sounds indeed interesting!

Thank you so much for developing MIDIhub. What a great and useful hardware device. The MIDIhub and the editor both work great in Linux, which I wanted to mention for other Linux users wondering about this.

I’ve recently needed to create a velocity curve for a software synthesizer that does not have that functionality, and the Equalizer pipe works very well, using the “Velocity (itself)” kind.

I would like to suggest a possible feature enhancement, to make the equalizer finer-grained, from a 3-point equalizer (low, medium and high), to a 5-point equalizer (low, medium-low, medium, medium-high, high), possibly with an either/or option in the pipe’s properties list to use the pipe as either a 3-point or 5-point equalizer.

"Name"            "Value" (drop-down menu)
Control points     3 points
                   5 points

In addition, I would like to suggest that because the equalizer specifies gain or attenuation of a range (of notes or velocities, for example), it might be more appropriate to substitute the name/label “Mid” for the word “Medium.”

–for 3-point equalizer–

Low
Mid
High

–for 5-point equalizer–

Low
Low-Mid
Mid
High-Mid
High

If adding an option to make it a 5-point equalizer would mean a lot of work, it’s probably not worth doing, because the Equalizer pipe already works well as a velocity curve generator with 3 points.

1 Like

Hi @steve777, if you wanted to experiment with this now you could emulate more bands by splitting your full note range off into separate pipelines using:

• Note Range Filters followed by Transpose in the case of Velocity (Note #) or,
  • in the “Velocity (itself)” case, Transforms (with different ‘Work with Velocity in Range…’) followed by Velocity Rescales before the split range’s respective Equalizers

the second case might look like this
split_equalizer
(here two Transforms - Insert After then Replace - split Velocity Range to two channels)

1 Like